breastfeeding question

Jen & Her Men

Reaction score
Hi mummies!

This may be a really stupid question so apologies in advance....

But I was wondering - when your breast feeding, how do you know that baby is having enough and not too much milk? Obviously on bottles there are measurements so you know, but how can you tell with BF?

you can't :D

if they have too much, they puke a bit out afterwards (called posseting i think). otherwise they just take themselves off when they're finished. if still screaming for more, give them the second side too, or check they are latched on and feeding correctly.

but no, there is no way of telling how much they have.

midna said:
As long as they are poopin and havin wet nappys and puttin on weight

that's how I know - and I can hear him gulping it down!!!

midna said:
Just to let you know in advance J-Dol ..breastfeeding is such hard work ...I had easier 12 hour shifts at work sometimes lol....I thought it was gonna be easy ...in for a shock I was ...but hey its so worth it!!!

I think the hardest thing is that you're the only one who can feed the baby so you have to be up at night several times while your OH is snoring his head off! :sleep:

midna said:
shes weighing 12lb 11 now ...greedy seed my boobs have taken a batterin !!

:shock:

Lola's only 12lb 6oz and she's been attached to my boob for the past 20 weeks. I'm suprised you've got any nipples left :lol:

u DONT kno exactly how much they gettin! but u CAN tell if they gettin any at all by hearing little gulps. (aww, its really cute!)
that was my main concern when i started BFing, particularly til the proper milk comes in coz b4 that u cant even see any on babys chin or drips comin out of ur nipple or anything!
i found it difficult until i built confidence that she was gettin enough and wasnt starving!

If you are really worried about how much your wee one is taking at each feed you could ask your MW or clinic if they could weigh your baby before a feed, then feed him/her then weigh her again (without changing nappy between weighing!). Then you will know exactly how much.

:lol: ^^

You dont really know hun, as the others have said baby will come off the boob or fall asleep when they are full

Kylie1007 said:
midna said:
Just to let you know in advance J-Dol ..breastfeeding is such hard work ...I had easier 12 hour shifts at work sometimes lol....I thought it was gonna be easy ...in for a shock I was ...but hey its so worth it!!!

I think the hardest thing is that you're the only one who can feed the baby so you have to be up at night several times while your OH is snoring his head off! :sleep:

:x :x :x agreed!!!!

also if the have 2/4 yellow, seedy poops and about 6 wet nappies a day.... the are fine...

Don't be confused with wind and hunger....lil miss gets terrible wind and looks for boob comfort which in turn makes wind worse...but a good tummy massage makes her 10xs better... :)

The first six weeks are hardest... but get past them and it gets so much easier... :D

Squiglet said:
also if the have 2/4 yellow, seedy poops and about 6 wet nappies a day.... the are fine...

Not necessarily - my breastfed DD only pooed once a week for ages - see this thread and has never been a heavy wetter so only from about 6 weeks old, we have only been through 4 nappies a day (morning change, midmorning change, afternoon change and bedtime change).

Its a bit more manic for nappy changes in the first few weeks though because of the funny meconium poos and for me, changing baby all the time because I was so keen to do the right thing!

Jo-Do, you don't have to 'know' how much they are getting - as long as baby is happy and healthy, nappies as above and is gaining weight well. This is a common misconception and I would hate to think that someone didn't breastfeed just because they couldn't gauge the amount baby was taking. You soon become very in tune with your baby and their needs.

As soon as you give birth and however you choose to feed your baby, please post in the Feeding and Nutrition section of the forum for support, help and advice, if required.

Valentine Xxx

Good advice Squig!

I've had problems breastfeeding as Rowan is a terrible latcher and she won't feed for more than 5 mins at a time. I've tried undressing her, talking to her, stroking her changing her mid-feed but nothing works to keep her awake. This led to me feeding her about every 30 mins one day till both of us were demented! I think I was mistaking wind for hunger and giving her more which made her worse. She has a particularly bad time with wind so I use Infacol before each feed and it works a treat.

I've tried for 2 weeks but breastfeeding isn't really working out for me. I can't be doing with feeding on demand and she and I seem to be happier feeding every 3 hours. I express during the day and she has formula at night. I prefer to know how much she's taking in at each feed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back