breastfeeding and elective c sections...

Jen & Her Men

Reaction score
hi i know this question has probably been asked tonnes of times so sorry in advance but...

It looks like i am gonna have to have a c section for this baby and im a bit in the dark about what happens with my milk? I want to BF but i hardly produced any colostrum or anything right until James was born and i had a proper labour etc with him...

What happens if i go in at 38 weeks to have Pumpkin?? Will I be able to BF?

zebrastripes had an elective c-sec due to willow being breech and she is still BFing past one year! big up zebrastripes :clap: :cheer:

coool!

I will PM zebra cos im just concerned about that initial bit when baby first arrives and if she had any problems with getting milk out for LO or whether it came naturally...

My SIL had an emergency c-section last Wednesday at 37+3 weeks. Her lil boy was 8lb 10oz and took to the breast straightaway. She never had any milk until he was born (which I think is common :think: Its true in my case too).

He did have trouble feeding over the weekend and had to go to SCBU for low blood sugar, but nothing to do with the c-section or her initial milk supply. My SIL bleed in labour and for a few days after and had to have 3 blood transfusions. They think her milk was not what it should have been because she has been really poorly. However lil man is 6 days old now, at home and breastfeeding fine :cheer:

I think (may be wrong) that it can be a bit delayed due to the fact your body doesn't have the initial hormones of labour etc, but it's by no means impossible.

Like trixipaws said Zebrastripes is the best person (and gordieandbairn but hers was an emergency c-section like yours with James)

You never know, it might be easier with pumpkin as you wont have had the stress of labour and the worry of an emergency section.

thanks guys. TBH James latched on really easily and feeding him was no problem at first - he was just a hungry monster! lol

Im just worried that i wont be able to because i wont have any of the labour hormones etc to kick start the milk or however it happens as i will be getting an early c section rather than going through all the labour.

I will PM ZS once I finish me ironing!

my best mate had an elective c section due to breech positioning and she breast fed :)

There are 2 hormones involved in breastfeeding - oxytocin and prolactin, neither of which should be affected by a c section. Oxytocins known as the hormone of llve and is responsble for bonding etc. It is released duing birth as the cervix dilates, and when your nipples are stimulated. When they are stimulated during breastfeeding they are responsible for the muscles to contract squeezing the milk out of the milk ducts (let down) - and make you feel very loving which is why their is the claim breastfeeding helps you to bond. Prolactin is known as the mothering hormone and it is this that is responsible for the production of milk. This is truggered by the removal of the placenta - which occurs either through a c section or a vaginalk birth so your body will get the message milk is needed. However high blood loss can affect your milk coming in, in terms of time (it took 6 days for mine to come in with Seren) but you will be producing colostrum. I would recommend asking for baby to placed on you as soon as - getting the old hormones kicking around. Offer him a feed asap, but make sure that you have someone there to help you support baby as you will be sore. Try and get in touch with a breastfeeding supporter before the section so you know where to get support from.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/concer ... ction.html

beanie said:
There are 2 hormones involved in breastfeeding - oxytocin and prolactin, neither of which should be affected by a c section. Oxytocins known as the hormone of llve and is responsble for bonding etc. It is released duing birth as the cervix dilates, and when your nipples are stimulated. When they are stimulated during breastfeeding they are responsible for the muscles to contract squeezing the milk out of the milk ducts (let down) - and make you feel very loving which is why their is the claim breastfeeding helps you to bond. Prolactin is known as the mothering hormone and it is this that is responsible for the production of milk. This is truggered by the removal of the placenta - which occurs either through a c section or a vaginalk birth so your body will get the message milk is needed. However high blood loss can affect your milk coming in, in terms of time (it took 6 days for mine to come in with Seren) but you will be producing colostrum. I would recommend asking for baby to placed on you as soon as - getting the old hormones kicking around. Offer him a feed asap, but make sure that you have someone there to help you support baby as you will be sore. Try and get in touch with a breastfeeding supporter before the section so you know where to get support from.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/concer ... ction.html

Thanks Beanie I really appreciate that - thats just the info I was looking for :hug: :hug:

I want to make sure im prepared and know what all the facts are as Im determined to BF for as long as poss. :D

look at my spelling, my laptop has gone kaput so am in the spare room which is freezing so can't feel my fingers and have a wireless keyboard which doesn't work that well. Sorry.

Anytime you want support you have a lot of girls here to talk to :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back