Breastfeeding/Expressing..

Rachey

Reaction score
Had MW appointment at the beginning of the week, she was asking if I was planning to breast feed or bottle feed and I said that I was hoping to give breastfeeding a go but if I can't manage it I won't be upsetting myself over it. So that was fine, then I asked about how long baby should only be breast fed and when it was ok to start expressing aswell.. When I said that she sort of laughed a bit and said "never" .. I said is it not ok to feed baby myself sometimes and express for him too? And she said no, if your breastfeeding then you should be feeding yourself all the time :eh:

I didn't know that you had to do it that way, I thought at first it was best just to feed yourself but when baby is a few weeks old it was ok to start expressing too?

Just wondered if any of you were planning on expressing to or if your MW's had said the same thing?

xxxx

you can express once the baby is established with breast feeding so she is speaking cr&p hun rayoflight is a good person on her to speak to about breast feeding :)

you can express once the baby is established with breast feeding so she is speaking cr&p hun rayoflight is a good person on her to speak to about breast feeding :)

Thanks hun :) I was sure was ok to start expressing after a few weeks but when she laughed and said never I felt like a total idiot and thought I'd got it all wrong :oooo: they make you feel so stupid sometimes lol

xxx

Last edited:
ofcourse u can express wonder y she told u that?? i HAD to express when i went back to work. Think ppl usually say wait till ur baby is feeding fine like midnight said but sure u can express hun x

I went to a breastfeeding session at my hospital who said don't introduce a bottle until 6 weeks. So that's what I did, and it was too late! Isla has never took from a bottle. My mum just bought me a medela calma to try and it's still not working.

Do what's right for you xx

I expressed and breast fed right from birth with Ethan, shes talking rubbish! x

I don't have a clue why she's told me that then, she's always been fine with any choices I make and not pushy atall but she seemed really funny when I mentioned expressing :eh: glad it's ok to do though!!

I'll maybe mention it to her again at my next appointment and ask why she said not to express

xxx

Last edited:
She is talking rubbish! I'm bf and expressing. I asked advice at the scbu and they were v encouraging and thought it was v sensible to express so hubby could give some via a bottle to give me a break and him some bonding time - it's all still breastmilk for baby! We started with the bottle as soon as we came home - 11 days old and it's working fine. Hv and nurse also approved and say to make sure we keep using bottles otherwise might stop taking them! xx

I'm breastfeeding and expressing as If the little one is here before the Take that concert then I'm going to have to leave my other half to look after her/him. My due date is the 20th and the concert is on the 23rd! I did both last time, I can't remember when I started expressing but i don't think I waited too long.

Last edited:
She's talking rubbish hun! I mainly bf but do express sometimes. I did wait until 5 weeks to express to make sure she was well established on the boob. Good luck with bf hun, its hard to start with but does get easier. Get some lanisoh lanolin for your nipples and use after each feed, it really helps! X

Thankyou :) will def be trying to do both then cause I'm hoping to do a college course one night a week while I'm on mat leave! Silly midwife getting me worried over nothing :lol:

Baby Bean, I'm not sure how I'll cope with it but I suppose it's worth a try and like you said I'm sure it will get easier in time if it's hard to start with x

I gave bottle and breast in hosp for 4 days all fine, then at home for few weeks now and again, my boobs were a bit confused and expressing once a day not helping with my boobs getting more engorged etc , so HV said stop till later on , and now I have a baby that can only be boob fed by me!! don't leave it so long. (Like Snr1982 , I'm going to take that on 15th June and having to leave my baby with OH overnight! , bags of frozen expressed milk to be drink from a first beaker !! He can but will he...)

I would say try to establish early , but do express in smaller amounts maybee over the course of the day to go towards the one feed for your OH, that way your boobs shouldn't get so confused.

Apparently (although not done any research into weather true or not), the HV told me that never let oh do the night feed , as any night feeds increase sleep hormones in the breast milk, which help baby sleep.

This is my only BF baby out ofk 4, and he sleeps like a superstar, the others were shocking!

Last edited:
So glad someone posted this as I have been wondering about this too!

I was think to BF for at least 4 weeks then introduce the bottle, do you think this would be about right? I too want my hubby to be able to feed baby as well as establish a boob and bottle routine! Don't want to leave it too long and the baby not want the bottle x

I'm breastfeeding and expressing as If the little one is here before the Take that concert then I'm going to have to leave my other half to look after her/him. My due date is the 20th and the concert is on the 23rd! I did both last time, I can't remember when I started expressing but i don't think I waited too long.

i too have a date with my man robbie and the boys on the 6th july so will be expressing(formula) feeding for then. i say formula as if i dont get on with bf then obviously that is the next option. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back