breastfeeding and formula..

Anna Marie

Reaction score
Unfortunately I may have to ease off breastfeeding.. I have terribly sore nipples and quite a bit of pain in my boobs and Lara is not gaining as much weight as she should so it seems she needs some topping up with formula... and when Lara feeds off me she "grazes" - she will be on me for up to an hour but not sucking all the time..no matter how much I prod and poke her to keep her focused and awake she just gets toooooo comfortable and does not feed properly..

Maybe I am being a bit premature and a bit of a defeatest thinking about giving up etc but I really feel that perhaps Lara would be better off on formula as that way we would at least know she is getting the milk she needs and my poor boobs can have a well earned rest.

I feel really sad and down about it as I love our closeness at feed times but I have to think of her - she is underweight despite having feeds every 3 hours and always seems satisfied after each feed...I was so upset yesterday I just burst into tears all over the health visitor while Lara was being weighed.. I just want Lara to be happy and healthy and if my milk is not enough for her I have to try something else.

So.. any advice on how to switch successfully without upsetting Lara and without me going through chronic engorgement?? Lara currently has just one formula feed after her bath at 6.30 all others have been breast.

And where can I find out how much formula she should be taking at each feed, I assume its based upon her weight not her age.. right?? Does she take the same amount of feeds per day with formula? the guide on the box is based on age and she is still very small and underweight for her age... so not sure its a good guide for me...

sorry for all the perhaps stupid obvious questions...

Thanks everyone xx

I think it's much harder to tell what they should or do take with breast and I can't really advise on that as I didn't breastfeed, I only expressed. With the cartons/tins of formula I would go more with weight than age as their tummies grow with their weight gain. Have you tried a breast feeding councillor to help you keep going? If you don't feel you are getting enough would expressing be an option if you don't want her to give up the breastmilk? How much does she weigh now hun? x

Hiya Anna Marie,

Has your HV said your little girl is under weight? Breast fed babies stop putting on as much weight as they get older. Did you mention your problems with the pain to the HV? Pain with feeding means something is wrong some where. Have you been treated for thrush? (the books say to check the baby for symptoms but they dont always show in the baby!) This causes a lot of pain and can happen even if been feeding for a while. I am not sure about the lazy feeding thing! I also think you need to speak to a breast feeding councillor. Are they any groups near you? I know nothing about formula so cant help you there!

Jade

Hi. I was told you were having probs hun so thought I would just pop in to see if I could help. First of all massive :hug: . I really sympathise as I went through this with Seren. My nipples were very sore for a while, and I discovered I had thrush. The symptoms of thrush vary and it can be difficult to diagnose so you may have to push your Dr (I did and it quickly cleared up). Is the pain constant and carry on after you have stopped feeding?Another thing would be to check your latch, is there a breastfeeding group nearby, they will reassure you if that needs adjusting (as babies get older sometimes they forget to latch on properly). Make sure that Lara is taking a big mouthful of nipple, and you shouldn't hear much noise.

As for the weight gain, has she lost weight or is it just that she isn't gaining as fast. Seren dropped 2 centiles but my HV said that was fine as she was alert and giving plenty of wet and dirty nappies. Do you have the formula growth charts? If so ignore them, formula milk is made from cows milk which is made to help calves grow fast, whereas human milk is more gradual in terms of weight gain. Jadie is absolutley correct, breastfed babies don't gain as much later on.

If Lara falls asleep I would take her off the breast, perhaps change her nappy etc then put her back on. If giving formula it is advised to demand feed with formula too, so offer Lara small amounts of formula when she asks for it. Expressing is also an option BUT don't be upset if you don't manage to express much as a baby is much more capable ogf getting milk out of a boob then a pump.At the top of the breastfeeding help thread there are some great support lines (the NCT one is fab). I will PM you my email and MSN so if you want you can contact me.

thanks girls... It is really getting to me that I am in such pain whilst feeding.. what are the symptoms of Thrush... would there be visible signs?
I get pain as soon as she latches on.. soreness on the nipple and sometimes it seems within the breast around the nipple.. a bit like a burning sensation but it only lasts a few minutes and then goes. there have also been white blister type bits of skin on the end of my nipples.. I thought it may be where she "chews" them sometimes as she comes off the breast at the end of a feed.. could these be a symptom of thrush? I have checked lara's mouth to see if she has any white bumps but none visible.

Lara weighs 10lbs 13oz and is 14 weeks old.. dropped below her line but is still gaining just not so much s quickly.

I guess I just need to decide once and for all about whether to stick it out or not.. I want what is best for her not just me.

Sounds like it could be thrush. I would go and get it checkedout either by your Dr or your HV. Her weight gain sounds good, she is gaining steadily so that shows she is feeding well. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back