breastfeeding and drinking..

charlotteheys85

Reaction score
few questions sorry..
ok.. when you drink how long do you have to wait before you breastfeed?
i understand it depends how much you drink..

do you need to express the milk your body produces whilst your "waiting for alchol to leave system"

xx

the basic principle is that if you feel drunk, then you can't breastfeed. if you feel completely sober, the odds are that you're ok to feed.

alcohol is filtered out from milk in the same way that its filtered out of the blood (and at the same rate), so there's no need to pump and dump; you might need to pump to relieve engorgement whilst under the influence though.

i have the odd glass of wine in the evenings now as i know connor will generally not need feeding again for 8 hours or so. i've been out and had a few drinks on a couple of occasions and, although its fun to let your hair down, pumping whilst tipsy is not fun. and being hungover with a baby is just hideous!

I've heard that the best time to have a glass of wine is while you are breastfeeding, though it feels totally wrong sitting there, baby latched on, while you sip your Shiraz! :rotfl:

A lot of girls I know, myself included, have a glass of wine most nights. Even my strict MW said it was fine to have the odd glass of wine. No more than one though, and no spirits.

I've been out and got drunk a few times now as had a few occasions including my hen night to go out for and the advice I found and followed as purple14 said is to wait til you FEEL sober, so for me this was usually by the next day around lunchtime when I felt normal again and I expressed enough to last longer than needed just incase. And with regards to pumping and dumping it is not neccesary in terms of the milk being 'dirty' as the milk is fine as long as you are, but you will need to do it as you will be so uncomfertable by the next day. My aim is to usually do it when I get in before sleep to releive it a bit but unfortionately I usually end up forgetting and waking up with the hangover from hell acompanied by boobs like bowling balls and my top soaked where I have leaked milk, its pretty! :rotfl:

Good luck with your night out and have fun! :wink: xx

purple13 said:
i have the odd glass of wine in the evenings now as i know connor will generally not need feeding again for 8 hours or so. i've been out and had a few drinks on a couple of occasions and, although its fun to let your hair down, pumping whilst tipsy is not fun. and being hungover with a baby is just hideous!

THats exactly what I do... Never been drunk since I had lil miss... cor drunk/hungover with a baby... thats gotta be against the Geneva convention :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back