• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

breastfed baby occasional bottle?

I did this as I was having initial problems and then after a car crash I had to give Finlay a bottle as I was having problems with my supply.

Why do you think your LO needs a bottle if you don't mind me asking? I didn't want to but I couldn't avoid it :(

I dont think you would have any problems giving the occasional bottle but if it is a regular thing it could affect your milk supply.
The first 6 weeks are the most important when it come to breastfeeding, this is when the milk supply gets established to what baby demands.
Personally i would avoid supplementing so early on.

How are things going hun, can i ask why you want to introduce a bottle?

I'd not do so before 6 weeks BF as it can mess with building demand and supply. I know people do do so but I feel unless there is a real need to then keep going with BF.

Are you hoping something like a formula feed at night might help her settle? If so then I'd not bother as it's not hunger that is keeping her from settling at night ATM, just the factshe is so small and wanting to be near you. I replied to your other thread on that btw :)

Oscar had had 1 bottle of formula at night since birth, I breastfeed the rest of the time. He is such an ineffective feeder on the boob, he feeds every two hours for anything up to an hour. Initially we introduced it on medical advice but to be honest it is now for sanity reasons. He now sleeps 8 hours a night after his formula feed, it was 4 or 5 at the beginning. I get the feeling he would be waking up to feed every 2 hours during the night and whilst that wouldn't have been too bad at the beginning, ten weeks on I would have been going crazy!

To actually answer your question mix/top up feeding is perfectly safe. You do need to consider whether your LO might get nipple confusion. Also everyone has different experiences of formula, not all formula fed babies sleep through so I guess I'm lucky that the formula fills him up so much however he will not nap during the day - hopefully this is helping him get the sleep he needs.

thanks for replys girlies..

one reason was my LO is strugglin to settle, and i saw midwfie this morning and she said, feed him for longer, i'm already feeding t night for 40mins plus,
i mentioned this idea to her, and shes a old fashioned midwife, and so far her advice has been very good, and she advised me about days and nights being mixed up, but it wouldnt harm him, but to wait another few weeks before introducing anything like that,

ALSO i'm too shy to b/f in public, and just wondered about the VERY occasional bottle of formula if needed.. xx

Personally I would stick with the breastfeeding until its established.

I used to sit for over 2 hours feeding Finlay at night as he would cluster feed. I'd feed him then about 20 mins later he;d want fed again. He would be feeding for over an hour each time.

Stick at it - takes a while to get everything sorted.

Why not try expressing for feeding on the go rather than formula?

FWIW Galen up till 6 weeks plus would feed for anything up to 2 hours at a time :shock: Some babies are just slow feeders or feed a lot. I'd really not worry and go with the flow if your LO is happy and gaining weight and having wet nappies don't feel you have to introduce a bottle of formula. I was advised to do this also at bedtime and I resisted. I wanted to give my body a chance to sort its supply out to fit my sons demanding feeding and it all came good in the end.

Even now he can feed for 45 minutes sometimes when he is really hungry or nearing bedtime.

eatign oats, like flapjack and oat biscuits can help with milk, make it abit more filling.

I know lots of women who have done this and have noticed a difference.

What your describing is perfectly normal, Oli fed every 2 hours day and night sometimes, and then at points that would increase when she went through a growth spurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back