Breast to cows milk - FAO Mummas who have bf'ed for a year

Tasha20

Reaction score
:)

I am planning to breastfeed Olivia until she is a year old and switch to cows milk, how hard or easy did you find it?

I have had alot of different responses from my OH's family and most say it was a battle as bubba just wanted boobie still.

How did it go for you :D

And if you have any great advise I would be very greatful :hug:

I am really interested in the responses as well. What I will say is that Ellie has dropped at least one feed during the day on her own. As she is still waking during the night for a feed, I am sending her to nursery with a couple of ounces of express millk to have with her morning snack, which she happily drinks from a beaker. I am hoping / expecting Ellie to gradually reduce the amount she wants from the breast.

Meant to say also, I have been giving Ellie cows milk in things like porridge since she was over 6months. I am hoping this will make the transition easier, but the main reason I have been using cows milk is it means less pumping.

Isnt there anyone here who has bfed for a year? and then switched to cows milk? :think:

Hi Tasha, I am still breast feeding at 15 months, I have managed to cut out quite a few feeds now and replaced them with cows milk, but it hasn't been easy. M has been a real boob-oholic :roll: It took a long time to get her on to solids though, she wasn't on three meals a day until she was about 10 months. She wouldn't touch formula so I just gave her cows milk straight away. I let her drink her cows milk from a beaker and she loves the novelty of it so will drink more of it. I intend to cut out all the day feeds by 18 months and then will stop feeding her completely by the time she's 2.

I think it will all depend on your baby, she might stop herself before she's one or she might be like M and not want to give it up.

Hope this helps :D

SarahB said:
Hi Tasha, I am still breast feeding at 15 months, I have managed to cut out quite a few feeds now and replaced them with cows milk, but it hasn't been easy. M has been a real boob-oholic :roll: It took a long time to get her on to solids though, she wasn't on three meals a day until she was about 10 months. She wouldn't touch formula so I just gave her cows milk straight away. I let her drink her cows milk from a beaker and she loves the novelty of it so will drink more of it. I intend to cut out all the day feeds by 18 months and then will stop feeding her completely by the time she's 2.

I think it will all depend on your baby, she might stop herself before she's one or she might be like M and not want to give it up.

Hope this helps :D

Awww bless she must really love her Mummys milk! :D

Thank you for your reply Sarah.

I have tried Olivia with formula before when we were going thru a ruff time of low supply but she hated it and cried at me even more so we just perserverd, glad I did :D

So theres no chance she will go on to it, She does use a cup with water or sometimes abit of baby juice ( which she loves) and she tries to hold it herself, so I think ill try and make the transition around 12 months with the cup. She seems to be pretty open to trying new things but we will have to see I suppose :)

That's a good idea, I started M on a beaker with water in it, at around 5 or 6 months and she will still happily drink that, but as soon as I put milk in it she's not interested :roll: The only thing that has worked has been the beaker as she loves to drink from that. :D

mine all switched to cows milk fine. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back