Breast or Bottle???

kitten x

Reaction score
Hi xx
i really am confused :think: , i bottle fed my other 3children, i have wanted to breast feed but for some reason i always found bottle feeding easier for my partner and older children at the time to get involved, however this time i really do want to breast feed i didnt bond well with my last boy as i had very bad post natel depression, so this time i want to make sure i can be as close as i can plus i have no rush to go bk to work as i wil be on matt leave and my partner will be here, i no i can express so my question is do you recommend breast or bottle and is breast easy? does it hurt? any help and advise would be great xxxxx

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Breast is best- everyone knows that! :wink:

That's all I am saying! :talkhand:

There is a really good FAQ thread in third try re breast feeding - Clicky

Have a look.

It's up to you, i'd say give breastfeeding a try but really go for it, throw away bottles and don't buy formula. Give yourself a good shot. I bought bottles 'just in case' and when baby was born kind of forgot about breastfeeding and when I was given a bottle in hospital just gave it to him straight away. I re-lactated on day 8 but it was hard work and never worked out as well meaning I was always topping up and ended up giving formula instead after 6 weeks.

There are loads of girls who will offer you support and advice on here if your thinking of breastfeeding. :)

Good luck whatever you decide :hug:

Ill get my on the fence comment in now before the debate starts....
what ever your comfortable with! as jade said breast is best but its ultimately your choice!

I will just say i am a breastfeeder. Once i started there was no going back as Angel wouldn't take bottles anyway.
It's sort of the lazy option when you get the hang of it. No sterilising, no bottle making, no heating in the middle of the night. I just got her, stuck the boob in her mouth and away we go.

totally agree with jade & lisa.
my best friends son is 3 months older than zach, and she gave up breast feeding after 10 weeks, whenever she sees me feeding zach she always goes on about how hard bottle feeding is, and how much she wished she had stuck with breastfeeding.

I'm now feeding Ollie with formula but desperately wanted to breastfeed for longer (but my nipples couldnt take it anymore.. long story so i wont bore you!)

I would always recommend to any mother to give it a try. If it does go abit tits up (excuse the pun) then try not to get too disheartened (i did!)

There are lots of pros and cons for both. I find bottle feeding a pain in the arse as i feel like i am constantly washing and sterilising bottles.. and as for going out?? I would much prefer to just go out with me and my boobs! However.. my breatsfeeding friends also say its very time consuming breastfeeding. I would like to say though that the people who say that all formula fed babies will sleep through the night is total rubbish.. however they probably do go longer between feeds.

Have a read up on it all but i'd say go for it!

Claire x

Breastfeeding can be hard at first, however this isn't necessarily because it is a hard thing to do,but because we as a society are no longer used to BF- for instance, most of us won't have grown up seeing lots of other women breastfeed etc. So problems usually arise due to a complete lack of support, or inadequate support/advice. sweetcheeks is right: if you really want to BF don't get in any "just in case" supplies! make sure you have the numbers of people like your local peer supporter or La Leche League leader as they will give you a lot of support and advice which you may not otherwise get.

Breastfeeding does hurt a bit at first but this is usually because of an incorrect latch, which again if left, can cause more problems. Like I said, really good sound advice is invaluable :D

I personally sort of drifted into breastfeeding because I didn't really understand why you'd bother messing about with bottles when you had a perfectly good pair or boobies :lol: but now I know more about the health benefits, and the ethical side of it,I'm really glad I stuck at it :D

Good luck!

i did breast-feeding only for the first 6 months, then breast and bottle for the next 2 months, then bottle-feeding only for the last 3 months (yep that does add up to 11 went onto cows' milk one month early! :shhh: )

breast is most definately best! i LOVEEEEEEEEE breast-feeding i cant wait to do it again.

breast-feeding is unbelievably difficult at first- even if ur expectations are its gonna be SO hard u will STILL be shocked at how hard it actually is :shock: but this is only the first month that is hard-

if u can get thru the first month- which is when most women give up- its actually easier than bottle-feeding. bottle-feeding does have its advantages and i enjoyed being able to let DF feed her etc, BUT its hard work in its own way as in its such a lot of faffing! cleaning bottles, sterilizing, making up feeds, waiting for water to cool- gosh this is why i went on to cows' milk early! formula is a faff! its SO much easier to just whip out a boob! ready made perfect temp no cleaning or waiting!

so at first, breast is harder; in the long-run, bottle is harder. hth

It sounds like you really want to give breastfeeding a go and if thats your decision theres lots of people who can help you to acheive this. Likewise if you decide not to breastfeed then theres lots of support there too.

You can sign up for a breast buddy where you are paired with an experienced breastfeeder from the forum who you can talk to and contact on a one to one basis with any concerns (think its lurking somewhere in 3rd tri so have a good look for the thread when you get there).

There are local groups such as Baby Cafe's that are usually run in sure start centres and have a midwife and health visitors on hand to help and support. There may also be some NCT breastfeeding councellors there too as well as Peer Suporters and other mums who are breastfeeding. Theres a website here http://www.thebabycafe.co.uk/ I find my local baby cafe invaluable and a real social afternoon out for both me and my daughter.

There's heaps and heaps of support on here too from people who breastfeed whether you breastfeed for a day, a month or a year we are always here :hug:

In my personal experience I luckily didnt suffer much pain or many problems and when I did encounter problems I managed to sort something out from advice on here. I had a sore nipple for about 2 days and then the wonder that is Lanisoh Nipple Cream worked its magic and it has been great ever since. Many people do however encounter soreness and many different problems but there are always ways and means of overcoming then. You will need to be committed to making it work otherwise you may be tempted to give up. Sometimes it may just be a case of perseveering with a problem for a couple of days a week or so because there is no answer or way to overcome it, but its whether you feel you can carry on or not that will help you to resolve the problem. Like I said sometimes its plain sailing and sometimes its not but you are not on your own.

I wanted my hubby to get more involved with feeding so from my daughter being 5 weeks old I started to express 1 feed a day so my hubby could feed her, thsi worked well for us and I continued expressing till she was 7 months old, so you can always involve your OH this way. Until that point my hubby always changed nappies and always had some time with her when he came home from work so I could have a break too.

After expressing and having to sterilise bottles I would definitely say breast is much easier to preparing bottles. Theres no messing about I just lift my top and pop her on. Even when we are out and about I just find a nice cafe, sit in the corner with a cuppa and away we go or I find a nice changing room (the nicest are usually in department stores) and feed there. During night feeds I just get up and pop her on too no having to go downstairs to warm a bottle.

Im dreading the day she decides she doesnt want my milk cause I love our special cuddles together ther are magical :)

i agree with sweetcheeks too, if ur determined to breastfeed, my advice is DO NOT buy bottles and formula "just in case", or u will just end up bottlefeeding.

i purposely didnt get any formula or bottles in, i was so determined to breastfeed i made it so that i HAD to or my baby would starve! if i am honest, i wouldve given up within 3 days if i hadnt been so tough on myself! its blimmin hard! i am SOOOO glad i did that now, coz when you've just given birth u dont have ur usual strength u tend to give in more easily :evil: i was anyway, i was so worn out i well wouldve given in!

good luck! :hug: x

Jade&Evie said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Breast is best- everyone knows that! :wink:

That's all I am saying! :talkhand:

hi xx yeah even i no breast is best :lol: ,
im just worried i wont beable to do it :( , xxx

Sweetcheeks24 said:
There is a really good FAQ thread in third try re breast feeding - Clicky

Have a look.

It's up to you, i'd say give breastfeeding a try but really go for it, throw away bottles and don't buy formula. Give yourself a good shot. I bought bottles 'just in case' and when baby was born kind of forgot about breastfeeding and when I was given a bottle in hospital just gave it to him straight away. I re-lactated on day 8 but it was hard work and never worked out as well meaning I was always topping up and ended up giving formula instead after 6 weeks.

There are loads of girls who will offer you support and advice on here if your thinking of breastfeeding. :)

Good luck whatever you decide :hug:

Hi thanks for the advise xx
i will def have a read on the other thread , i think im def gonna give it ago why not x
all im worried about is how do you no when baby has had enough or how do you no if
baby isnt getting enough this is something that has always baffeled me xx
but since reading alot of the replies im more set towards giving it ago :cheer: xx

LisaJ1986 said:
I will just say i am a breastfeeder. Once i started there was no going back as Angel wouldn't take bottles anyway.
It's sort of the lazy option when you get the hang of it. No sterilising, no bottle making, no heating in the middle of the night. I just got her, stuck the boob in her mouth and away we go.

Hi lisa xx
i must admitt i used to like making bottles but i always regret never trying breastfeeding and
now i have the chance i def want to give it ago, i will prob be abit shy getting mt boobs out in public well not that i go far im a home bird i do online shoppin i love being in so i will have no prob their really :lol: ,

can i ask you a question? how do you no baby is getting enough? how do you no baby is full? sorry be cheeky ive always wondered xx

charlotte_ said:
totally agree with jade & lisa.
my best friends son is 3 months older than zach, and she gave up breast feeding after 10 weeks, whenever she sees me feeding zach she always goes on about how hard bottle feeding is, and how much she wished she had stuck with breastfeeding.

Hi charlotte xx

thanks for the advise its definatly helping me decide xxxx

trixipaws said:
i did breast-feeding only for the first 6 months, then breast and bottle for the next 2 months, then bottle-feeding only for the last 3 months (yep that does add up to 11 went onto cows' milk one month early! :shhh: )

breast is most definately best! i LOVEEEEEEEEE breast-feeding i cant wait to do it again.

breast-feeding is unbelievably difficult at first- even if ur expectations are its gonna be SO hard u will STILL be shocked at how hard it actually is :shock: but this is only the first month that is hard-

if u can get thru the first month- which is when most women give up- its actually easier than bottle-feeding. bottle-feeding does have its advantages and i enjoyed being able to let DF feed her etc, BUT its hard work in its own way as in its such a lot of faffing! cleaning bottles, sterilizing, making up feeds, waiting for water to cool- gosh this is why i went on to cows' milk early! formula is a faff! its SO much easier to just whip out a boob! ready made perfect temp no cleaning or waiting!

so at first, breast is harder; in the long-run, bottle is harder. hth

Hi trixipaws :wave: xx
arh thank you sooo much for your long reply its very much appreciated, so many things to consider , but you have also helped me i did find bottle feedin to become a pain and i did want to try breastfeeding with my last boy but depression took my time away from doing this but ive always regreted it so fingers crossed this time round like you say i just got get through the first month all these replies are definatly helping me decide thank you so much xxxxx :hug:

nori said:
I'm now feeding Ollie with formula but desperately wanted to breastfeed for longer (but my nipples couldnt take it anymore.. long story so i wont bore you!)

I would always recommend to any mother to give it a try. If it does go abit tits up (excuse the pun) then try not to get too disheartened (i did!)

There are lots of pros and cons for both. I find bottle feeding a pain in the arse as i feel like i am constantly washing and sterilising bottles.. and as for going out?? I would much prefer to just go out with me and my boobs! However.. my breatsfeeding friends also say its very time consuming breastfeeding. I would like to say though that the people who say that all formula fed babies will sleep through the night is total rubbish.. however they probably do go longer between feeds.

Have a read up on it all but i'd say go for it!

Claire x

Hi claire x
thanks for the reply and advise i def see your point in alot you have said and all the replies and help im getting is definatly helping me to decide your def right about having to take so much out with you when bottle feeding then you have find a cafe heat the bottle cool it to rite temp omg.... where as like you say your boobs are always with you and always right temp really i dont go to far only bit of shoppin now and again so i reckon breast feeding could be really good for me xx
thanks again claire really helped xxx

zebrastripes said:
Breastfeeding can be hard at first, however this isn't necessarily because it is a hard thing to do,but because we as a society are no longer used to BF- for instance, most of us won't have grown up seeing lots of other women breastfeed etc. So problems usually arise due to a complete lack of support, or inadequate support/advice. sweetcheeks is right: if you really want to BF don't get in any "just in case" supplies! make sure you have the numbers of people like your local peer supporter or La Leche League leader as they will give you a lot of support and advice which you may not otherwise get.

Breastfeeding does hurt a bit at first but this is usually because of an incorrect latch, which again if left, can cause more problems. Like I said, really good sound advice is invaluable :D

I personally sort of drifted into breastfeeding because I didn't really understand why you'd bother messing about with bottles when you had a perfectly good pair or boobies :lol: but now I know more about the health benefits, and the ethical side of it,I'm really glad I stuck at it :D

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice i have heard breast helps alot towards health benifits, i no i will have mistakes along the way but its these i will learn from but i do agree why waste a good pair of boobs :lol: , thanks again xx

Charlie:-) said:
It sounds like you really want to give breastfeeding a go and if thats your decision theres lots of people who can help you to acheive this. Likewise if you decide not to breastfeed then theres lots of support there too.

You can sign up for a breast buddy where you are paired with an experienced breastfeeder from the forum who you can talk to and contact on a one to one basis with any concerns (think its lurking somewhere in 3rd tri so have a good look for the thread when you get there).

There are local groups such as Baby Cafe's that are usually run in sure start centres and have a midwife and health visitors on hand to help and support. There may also be some NCT breastfeeding councellors there too as well as Peer Suporters and other mums who are breastfeeding. Theres a website here http://www.thebabycafe.co.uk/ I find my local baby cafe invaluable and a real social afternoon out for both me and my daughter.

There's heaps and heaps of support on here too from people who breastfeed whether you breastfeed for a day, a month or a year we are always here :hug:

In my personal experience I luckily didnt suffer much pain or many problems and when I did encounter problems I managed to sort something out from advice on here. I had a sore nipple for about 2 days and then the wonder that is Lanisoh Nipple Cream worked its magic and it has been great ever since. Many people do however encounter soreness and many different problems but there are always ways and means of overcoming then. You will need to be committed to making it work otherwise you may be tempted to give up. Sometimes it may just be a case of perseveering with a problem for a couple of days a week or so because there is no answer or way to overcome it, but its whether you feel you can carry on or not that will help you to resolve the problem. Like I said sometimes its plain sailing and sometimes its not but you are not on your own.

I wanted my hubby to get more involved with feeding so from my daughter being 5 weeks old I started to express 1 feed a day so my hubby could feed her, thsi worked well for us and I continued expressing till she was 7 months old, so you can always involve your OH this way. Until that point my hubby always changed nappies and always had some time with her when he came home from work so I could have a break too.

After expressing and having to sterilise bottles I would definitely say breast is much easier to preparing bottles. Theres no messing about I just lift my top and pop her on. Even when we are out and about I just find a nice cafe, sit in the corner with a cuppa and away we go or I find a nice changing room (the nicest are usually in department stores) and feed there. During night feeds I just get up and pop her on too no having to go downstairs to warm a bottle.

Im dreading the day she decides she doesnt want my milk cause I love our special cuddles together ther are magical :)

Hi xx
yeah i really do want to give it ago, x
after reading your lovely reply and you saying about your special cuddles its worth it for that x and yes your def right about the night time and messing around with bottles your reply has also helped me alot and my oh agrees with all you have said to, so thank you very much xxx :hug:

You have to put your trust into baby with regards to are they getting enough. That is why breastfeeding is thought to be protective against obesity - baby learns to regulate their appetite. Things to look out for are wet and dirty nappies, weight gain, an alert baby etc. These are all signs baby is feeding well :)

ETA - I'll be honest and say I hate newborn feeding (apart from the first feed) as it is tiring and demanding but it is so so worth it as they get older - so much easier and very rewarding

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back