Breast feeding Vs Formula feeding

Josephine_Beth

Reaction score
As I have too much time on my hands, I thought I'd be helpful and type up the information about breastfeeding Vs formula feeding that I am reading in my pregnancy book. I am hoping this doesn't cause a debate but I thought it be helpful for others.

Facts favouring breast feeding;

It’s custom made

Tailored to the needs of human infants, breast milk contains at leasr 100 ingrediants that are not found in cow’s milk abd that can’t be synthesized in the lad. Moreover, unlike formula, the composition of breast milk changes constantly to meet your baby’s ever-changing needs. It’s different in the mornings than it is the late afternoon; different at the start of a feeding than the end of a feeding; different the first month than the seventh month; different for a premature baby than a full term baby.

Basically, the nutrients in breast milk change to meet your baby’s needs and his/her ability to handle them. Also, breast milk contains less sodium than cow’s milk formula, making it easier for a baby’s kidney’s to handle.

It goes down easily

Breast milk is designed for a human baby’s sensitive and still developing digestive system, rather than for a young calf’s. It’s protein (mostly lactalbumin) and its fat are more easily handled by the baby than are the protein (mostly caseingen) and fat in cow’s milk. The practical result? Breastfed babies are less likely to suffer from gas and excessive spitting up.

It’s safe

You can be assured that the milk from your breast is at the right temp, the right mixture and isn’t improperly prepared, spoiled or contaminated (assuming you do not have an illness).

It keeps allergies at hold

Babies are almost never allergic to breast milk. Although an infant my be sensitive to something the mother has eaten. Breast milk is always, usually, tolerated well. On the other hand, more than 1 out of 10 infants, after an initial exposure turn out to be allergic to cow’s milk. Some studies have shown that breastfed babies maybe less likely to suffer from childhood asthma and eczema than those babies fed formula.

It’s a tummy soother

Because of breast milk’s naturally laxative effect and because of the easier digestibility of breast milk, infants who nurse are almost never constipated, also their movements are very loose, and diarrhea is rarely a problem.

It keeps diaper rash away

The breastfed baby’s movements are less likely to cause diaper rash. However, this may disappear once solids are introduced.

A few more pros are;

* It’s an infection preventer
* It’s a brain booster
* More suckling satisfaction
* It builds stronger mouths
* Convenience
* Lower cost
* Quicker post partum recovery
* Some protection against pregnancy
* Health benefits
* Enforced rest periods
* Less complicated night time feedings
* Eventually, easier multitasking
* Stronger mother-baby bonding

Facts favouring formula;

Longer satisfaction for baby;

Infant formula made from cow’s milk is more difficult to digest than breast milk and the large rubbery curds it forms, stay in a baby’s stomach for longer, giving a feeling of satiety that can last several hours, extending the periods between feedings.

Easy monitoring of intake;

You know just how much milk a bottle fed baby is taking in. Because breasts aren’t calibrated to measure a baby’s intake, a nursing mother may worry that her baby isn’t getting the right intake.

More freedom;

Formula feeding doesn’t tie the mother to the baby day and night. This means you can get back on your social feet quicker and even let a grandparent take your baby for the day.

Fewer demands;

The mother, exhausted by a difficult labour may be grateful to have the option of sleeping through middle-of-the-day/night or crack of dawn feedings. Dad, grandma or a nanny can take over this for you; there is also less of a physical drained on a new mother.

A few more are;

• More participation for the father
• More participation for older siblings
• No interference with fashion
• Less restriction on birth control methods
• Fewer dietary demands and restrictions
• Lees embarrassment for the modest
• Potentially more love making time

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts