breast feeding question

siouxie

Reaction score
I'm only in trimester 2 at 17 weeks but have my heart set on breast feeding. If I cant do it for any reason I'm not going to stress my self out, hopefully wont have any problems tho. I was just wondering aout how long bny usually feed for my friend done a mixture of bottle n boob n said her little one would feed for up to an hour or more on the boon n he is only a month old. And told me if you breast feed they need to be fed a lot more often and take a lot more because they need a lot more then if bottle fed. But it.doesn't sound right to me? Some advice please :)

Rubbish answer but every baby is different. In the first few weeks babies will feed quite frequently for varying times

Harry fed for around 20 -30 mins every 1.5 hours ish. But on some days he fed more others s bit less

If you have your heart seton breast feeding (and I thoroughly recommend it) the time spent doing it is irrelevant

Just enjoy time with baby when it arrives and look forward to days on the sofa watching tv and feeding baby

At nearly 7 weeks Harry goes around 3 hours between feeds

Hope this helps x

I BF my son for 1 year and am now BFing my new LO.

The best thing is to feed on demand, have no set routine with feeding. Sometimes they will feed quickly, others they will be on you for aaaaages. Breast milk is more easily digested than formula and gentler on their tummies so they are hungry more frequently with breast milk.

The early days are hardest, alot of time is spent on the boob establishing supply but as the weeks and months go by, eventually, a routine is established. Once you hit 3 months its alot easier, 4 months again and then 6 months it's about 3 feeds p/day for about 10-20 mins... obvs each LO is different though!

It's so much easier than FF too, no sterlising and having to prep bottles, just whip em out and latch LO on lol

Good luck, I'm sure you will do fine. There is a fab BF support team in most towns and they are amazing, can't fault them at all. Your MW will have details.

xxxxx

Hey hun! Bf babies do feed more frequently as breast milk is digested quicker than formula. Also in the early weeks/months they feed a lot to help get milk supply established. It does settle down tho and they get v efficient at taking what they need. It is hard in those first few weeks and yes, they can stay attached for a long time but once supply is built up and u both get to know what ur doing its much easier. Bf def takes a strong committment at the start but if u can stick it out its def worth it! Good luck hun, but dont b hard on urself if u find it v difficult or give up, it isn't for everyone and there's no shame in that xx

Thanks for the replies. If it indoors I have no problem sitting there for an.hour or how ever long it takes I'm just a bit worried about when I'm out. I thought about expressing n havent made up my mind about that yet. So what do you do when you go out for the day, just stop n breast feed for an hour while everyone waits or walk around with a sling lol I'm a bit confused.

To be honest in the early days we didnt go out for great lengths of time!!! You will soon notice a pattern when they sleep during the day and I tended to go out then and be back for the next feed but I was always a bit shy about feeding outdoors!! I now ff but it was uch easier to bf as you cud just feed them wereas I now have to plan things and make sure I have a bottle etc!! Good luck and I hope it all goes well for you!!
xxx

At first you will feel like baby is constantly stuck to the boob, it is very normal but be prepared for that.
After a couple of weeks baby will get into more of a routine, milk will be flowing and you start to get more time off the boob!
I wasn't prepared for the cluster feeding, it came as quite a shock, I assumed (wrongly) that it must mean I'm not making enough milk or baby is still hungry, not the case.
Very few women don't make enough milk but think they don't for this reason.
Again, it's lack of support and reassurance for bf mums x

What cosmic girl said! I had no idea about cluster feeding, and my lactation consultsnt and doc even said she was on the boob too long (8 hours straight one day) and said my milk hadn't come in so scared me into topping her up with formula. Bad idea! After talking to girls on here they said cluster feeding was normal. It completely messed up my supply and took me six weeks of constant feeding and pumping to get my supply up enough to exclusively bf. Worth it though! So be prepared to feed a lot in the early days and try not to top up with formula if you are set on bf. Just get comfy with snakcs and a book or the tv. Sometimes I want K to eat longer so I can just relax lol. Good luck!

It is sooooo worth it, it takes real will power and perseverance but once you're over the first hurdle you'll be loving it, so will baby x

I posted this in another thread. This was all the feeds I did in a 24 hour period when Tyler was a month old.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338912521.649933.jpg

Now he feeds about 3 times in the daytime! Big difference! I also think he's been a greedy boy and babies don't always feed as much as my chunka!

When he was newborn I'd feed him then we'd go out.

Make the most of this time, start collecting DVDs you want to watch, or record lots on your sky plus. You'll spend at least the first month chained to the sofa so tell your OH he's cooking and cleaning! It's the best time tho, constant cuddles with this amazing mini human you gave birth too! I miss it!

Don't be scared about bfing in public! The first time is the worst, just get OH to help you with positioning your cover (if you use one) and possibly hold baby while you unclog and get ready. The more you do it the easier it is.

Don't be disheartened or put off as its the best feeling ever.

If it doesn't work out, you tried your best which is what matters most!

Unclog?? What's that lol. Thanks for the times that gives me a good idea, I think when.I do.I will also keep a log at first so I can keep track of what I'm doing. I don't really want to do breast and bottle as my friend did it as she said it was best but now a month on and he baby won't take the breast and her milks basically gone.

Unclog?? What's that lol. Thanks for the times that gives me a good idea, I think when.I do.I will also keep a log at first so I can keep track of what I'm doing. I don't really want to do breast and bottle as my friend did it as she said it was best but now a month on and he baby won't take the breast and her milks basically gone.

That was meant to be undo! Stupid predictive text!!

I don't want to scare you and I know a lot of the girls have a different experience but when we first came home our first night OH gave Tyler a bottle so I could catch up on sleep and the next morning he really struggled to latch. I think it was the beginning of nipple confusion. LUCKILY my midwife was due over so she helped me latch him on and he's been fine ever since. Won't take a bottle now tho lol!!

Meant to say also that there's no proof formula fed babies need feeding less and as the others have said the faffing around of sterilising takes up lots of time

Tbh you prob won't feel like going out in the first few weeks for Long periods of time so don't worry about that. At 6 weeks we know now when he wants to feed

That's probberly very true actually it will be November when I'm due anyway and I can't stand going to thr shops at that time of year online shopping all the way lol. Hopefully after Christmas n New years I will know what's what x

I wud wait a while before introducing a bottle tbh!! I started on 2 bottles at 6 weeks and it was fine and it gave me a chance to build up my milk for the bfing!! I have found that harrison sleeps less on formula so its not always the case that they sleep better with a bottle. I used to give a bottle at lunch time and at 6 as these were his really hungry times (when he wanted to feed all the time!!)
xxx

I'm not going to buy any bottles or pump before she's here. Once I've she's here and I've had a go at breast feeding I will decided wether to get a pump or to get bottles set ect or if I don't feel I need to. Thanks for all the great responses its really helped.

Have you a support group, baby cafe or similar near to you? I headed to one near me while pregnant and it was the best thing i ever did. Lo will probably feed for shorter period when out so i early wouldn't worry about it yet. You will soon get into a sort of routine!! X

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I have no idea il have to have to have a look and see. I haven't seen any about tho :/

ask your mw or look on fb

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back