Breast feeding question

Sarah13

Reaction score
When you time how long your baby has gone between feeds do you count it from the time they started feeding or finished? I've been counting from finish time whereas my mum said she used to do it from start time. Not that it really matters but Kynon feeds for at least half hour then wants feeding 2-3 hours later.

from the start time hunny and I bottle fed my son. every 3 hours at beginning was hard but he was jaunice :(

Hey chick I've always gone from the start of last feed?! Not sure if that's right or not but that's how I've done it!

HTH xx

Sent from my nearly buggared iPhone!!

I was always told time it from the start of the feed - bit of a pain when he fed for almost an hour and by the end of a feed he was already an hour post feed!!!

Well I guess he goes longer than 2 hours if I time it that way then! Rubbish when he feeds for an hour out of a three hour slot though!

He will get quicker, by 3 months G had most of his day time feeds down to 20 mins for both sides, now its 5 mins, 10 max.

My LO is 6.5 months and usually her feeds are still around half an hour!

I only ever did it from the time Oz finished coz it seemed silly to time from the start of the feed if he fed for a 30-60 mins, coz then he would be back on me straight away.

Tbh i only did this for the fiirst couple of weeks then I just fed on demand instead of timing and force feeding if he was asleep

xxx

I only ever did it from the time Oz finished coz it seemed silly to time from the start of the feed if he fed for a 30-60 mins, coz then he would be back on me straight away.

Tbh i only did this for the fiirst couple of weeks then I just fed on demand instead of timing and force feeding if he was asleep

xxx
Does seem strange to time from start! I'm feeding on demand too, so we don't have much of a pattern really. People always ask how long he goes for and I never know what to say!

xxx
Does seem strange to time from start! I'm feeding on demand too, so we don't have much of a pattern really. People always ask how long he goes for and I never know what to say!

Oscars feeding pattern really settled down around 4 months, then again at 5 months then at 6 months went down to 3 feeds p/day.

I really want him off the boob in the next couple of weeks but i'm dreading it. Can't believe a year has gone by already!

Bet it's hard weening them off but I guess its best to do it before your next LO arrives. I only fed my daughter until 4 months cos I went back to work so it wasn't too bad, I did it gradually swapping the boob for bottles.

I thought the same q too lol I go from start of feeding when talking bout feeding but when talking about sleeping til next feed I go on when I put her down after feed.. If that makes sense lol!

Well last night was the longest he's ever slept 41/2 hours then 3 but must have been due to his jabs poor thing, I course I still didn't sleep cos I kept checking on him!

That's always the way lol When Oscar was newborn even though I was really tired I just used to lay watching him breathe and if I closed my eyes would open them every few minutes to make sure he was still breathing :wall2: I was a bloody nightmare lol

Babies can feed for ages on the boob, so I would say go from the end... But really for a successful and healthy breastfeeding relationship, feeding on demand is the way to go!

Yea I always counted from the end! They feed differently at different times, so the only accurate way to work it out is from the end! Cos if they have a 10min feed as opposed to an hour long one the time from the start is irrelevant! I agree with fi tho, feeding on demand is defo the way to go!! K used to Feed constantly, an hour on then an hour off! I swear you could have rubbed a cheese grater on my nips and I wouldn't have flinched :lol:

Sent from my spammy iPhone using Tapatalk - it's got a mind of it's own!

Think I'll stick with the demand feeding, just be nice if he went a bit longer than 2 hours from end of feed!

he will star going longer x he's after six weeks, you could try a dummy xx

He seems to spit out the dummy most of the time! Fx he will start going longer very soon since he will be adjusted age of 6 weeks this weekend!

Lilyanna is a sucky baby like Jaycee was and she's had a dummy for a while now.. She settles well with it but when she's hungry she spits it out so I know when she wants feeding and when she wants a suck.. I can't handle her comfort sucking on the breast!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back