Breast feeding, how long.

Hazel

Reaction score
What's the minimum time that breast feeding is advised for to have a real benefit for baby? I need to go back onto my medication asap after baby is born but want to do what's best for her for as long as I can.

Do you mean time on the breast or time in days/weeks/months?

Valentine Xxx

Sorry, months. I just edited it because it didn't make sense :doh:

No worries.

To be honest, anything you can give your DD is great. If I was you, I'd try to give her at least the first week of so when the colostrum is there as this is full of brilliant magical stuff for your baby. I would then maybe try to get to 6 or 12 weeks too once you've got the hang of it as that will be a great benefit to her too as breast milk is full of good stuff, I guess it depends on your particular medical circumstances.

Have you discussed with your GP if there are any alternatives to your medication? Are you taking it while pregnant?

Valentine Xxx

i was talking to OH grandmother and she said she fed her first daughter for 18 months! i didnt plan to feed for that long. she said if she was me she would feed baby for at least 3 months, i think i will want to BF for longer than that TBH.

I was thinking 3-4 months. I need an operation also so can put it off until Xmas. Also have PCOS which the doc treats with the Dianette pill which I know is not allowed whilst breastfeeding. The PCOS is why it took us 3 years to conceive :roll: .

Hazel said:
I was thinking 3-4 months. I need an operation also so can put it off until Xmas. Also have PCOS which the doc treats with the Dianette pill which I know is not allowed whilst breastfeeding. The PCOS is why it took us 3 years to conceive :roll: .

That sounds like a really good crack at it. If you get to that point and want to continue, presumably you could postpone the operation and/or discuss alternative treatment for your PCOS?

Good luck!

Valentine Xxx

Hazel said:

3-4 months sounds great. You'd have gotten over the early days and be able to enjoy breastfeeding your LO for a while then :) And give her a great start with the breastfeeding :) And as Valentine said, if you want to continue you could try alternatives perhaps?

Even one BF is better than none for the goodness and eveything that is in your breastmilk! :D

Midwife said 6 months which is pushing it a bit for my health. I thought 3-4 months would be ok. I'm planning until Xmas.

Hazel said:

i've got pcos too, although i took myself off dianette when it made me depressed. i went on metformin to control my weight and i really want to go back on it again but i'm bf-ing so its gonna have to wait a while. i've found that all my other symptoms (hair, spots etc) have been markedly better since having connor. its just the weight thing that i'm struggling with again, but bf-ing helps that by using up extra calories :) i plan on bf-ing for as long as connor wants it - i'll sort myself out again after that. i know its different for you if you've got to have an op as well, but you might find that your pcos is much less of an issue after birth so try not to worry about it. just feed for as long as you can :hug: :hug:

I hadn't even thought about going back on Dianette for my PCOS afterward- it just hadn't occurred to me because I came off on my own when I decided to try to conceive. I'm hoping to stay off for a while because my moods were better, but my skin was terrible for a while until I started using Zineryt for that. I have heard some people say it made there skin look bad when they went out, but I think they are probably using too much. It's a topical solution with alcohol to help your skin absorb it. You can put moisturiser and makeup over it and then you should look normal. So if you aren't lucky enough to have breastfeeding help with the skin problems, that could be an option. Other than that, you should be okay to skip treatment for PCOS for a while.

purple13 said:
Hazel said:

i've got pcos too, although i took myself off dianette when it made me depressed. i went on metformin to control my weight and i really want to go back on it again but i'm bf-ing so its gonna have to wait a while. i've found that all my other symptoms (hair, spots etc) have been markedly better since having connor. its just the weight thing that i'm struggling with again, but bf-ing helps that by using up extra calories :) i plan on bf-ing for as long as connor wants it - i'll sort myself out again after that. i know its different for you if you've got to have an op as well, but you might find that your pcos is much less of an issue after birth so try not to worry about it. just feed for as long as you can :hug: :hug:

I think you can use Metformin whilst pregnant :think: (I'm not positive though). I'm really hoping being pregnant might cure it :pray: . I know getting my weight down quick will help. Dianette is like a wonder drug for me, I suffer mainly with the hair problem so this fixes it and never have periods (you might think this is a good thing). I get pain around the ovaries also with the cysts so really hoping I'm cured. I reckon I can hang on until Xmas not a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back