Braxton hicks

Discussion in 'Second Trimester' started by Fingers crossed, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Fingers crossed

Fingers crossed Well-Known Member

Someone I know who is preggo saw her midwife last week and she told her about her BH she's been having. The MW said that it's a bit too early for her to be getting them and she's a bit concerned she's gonna go into early labour. She's about 28 weeks. Now I'm a bit worried cos I've been having them since around 18weeks and sometime they are quite strong and regular (every 10 mins for a couple of hours). Should I be worried or is her MW talking a load of crap (friend said MW doesn't know what she's talking about most the time anyway)?

2. jodie_honey

jodie_honey Well-Known Member

you can get braxton hicks from early on, my doc told me i could go into prem labour coz shes lyin low and shes moved up now so just goes to show that they arent always right, just tell ur friend to take it easy and not to worry im sure everythin will be fine, im not an expert tho :S hope that helps xx

3. Sally+Baby

Sally+Baby Well-Known Member

Strange...I was going to post something about this today.

I think I've had some this morning, very painful period type cramps all round my belly and then moved round to my back. I had about 3 in the space of 15 minutes.
    Not sure if I should give my midwife a call or not. I'm 19 weeks. x

4. Emma58

Emma58 Well-Known Member

I started getting these about 3 weeks ago. I asked my GP and he said as long as they are not painful then its ok. And you do start to get them as early as 20 weeks.

5. clarey

clarey Well-Known Member

OMG this is me too! I thought I just had a particularly useless midwife cos I asked on Monday about them and she said ' well its too early really...I suppose you might be an exception, why do you think you might be going into prem labour?' So I said I dont know this is my 1st baby, and she just said 'hmmm' !!!

So very reassuring! Thank god for this forum as I already knew others had been having them for while so wasnt too stressed but just looking for reassurance from someone medical!!

I think as long as there is no pain or bleeding etc its OK, I read somewhere that doing too much can irritate the uterus and cause more of them too.

Hurrah for our amazing antenatal care!! :lol:

6. Squiglet

Squiglet Well-Known Member

Psssf... I've had bh's since 15 weeks.... baby is low... and look at my ticker :roll: Little miss aint coming soon...

Doesn't really mean anything... I got early BH's with Tia too.. from around 20 weeks... and well she was overdue :roll: :rotfl:

So don't panic... !!! As long as you are not having period type pains, backache etc... they are just tightenings... then it's normal...

Apparently your uterus contracts all your life... it's just when it gets bigger like pregnancy, you notice it.. some people feel things more than others :)

Sally+Baby I answered the post in ask a mum.. :)

7. Fingers crossed

Fingers crossed Well-Known Member

I'll tell her her MW is talking out of her butt then :roll: :D . Thanks for the replies :hug:

8. Babylicious

Babylicious Well-Known Member

I have them all the time too, sean panics more than me :rotfl: