Bottles and Sterilizing stuff!

jennilisanne

Reaction score
I know this has probably been asked before, but couldn't quite find what I was looking for.

I'm going to try to breastfeed, but I would also like to express so hubby can be involved, and I can get out!

What are your bottle/sterilizer recommendations? Do they have to be the same? Ie, if I get an Avent sterilizer, do I have to get Avent bottles?

I'd like to get a smallish microwave one if possible, but don't really know where to start, they all look the same to me! Also, pumps, manual or electric (the though of either scares me, but I'll just have to get over that!!!)

Thanks!!

I would thoroughly recommend dr brown bottles hon- they are amazing and I just wish I'd known about them from day one - feeds are soo nice and calm now.

I have this same question... I want to BF but will express for OH once we have BF established. I have been told the Breastflow bottles are brilliant for swapping between bottle and boob so I will get some of those. BUT sterilisers are completely different matter... We have a small microwave and cant seem to find one to fit in there. Electrical ones take up so much room so I was wondering if anyone has used the sterilising liquid?!?!?

xx

When ella was in scbu I bought a Milton sterilising bucket and fluid- was fab and still use it.

I have an avent steriliser for the microwave and it just fits in there, and avent bottles, xx

Definitely go for the electric pump, I had a manual and it's such an effort! I have a tommee tippee microwave steriliser and tommee tippee anti colic plus bottles, iv seen the steriliser in home bargains for a tenner x

Last edited:
i like dr brown bottles. i use sainsburys own teats :)

i have a cold water steriliser and its just a big tub thing filled with cold water and some milton, eeeeeasyness :)

I think I am going to have a more in depth look at the Milton sterilising stuff. Surely its pretty easy to use. can you just use it in the sink and not a special container? xx

Thanks everyone. We're doing baby stuff this weekend so will look out for a bargain!

I use Tommee Tippee Closer To Nature bottles (I combine feed) and I think they are fab, they are meant to imitate the breast and Cameron has not been confused at all with the boob and bottle. And I just use Milton sterilizing liquid in a normal bowl. Never sterilized with Brandon, just boiled the bottles once or twice a day. To be honest, they say that the bottles are no longer sterile as soon as you take them out so... Good luck anyway! :) xx

Also an article I found:

Boiling

Another form of sterilising is boiling, but first make sure that your baby's bottles are suitable for this. You'll need a large pan with a lid or cover, and it’s best to buy a pan to use exclusively for this purpose.

Fill the pan with water and submerge all the feeding equipment completely. Make sure there are no trapped air bubbles inside the bottles and teats, then cover the pan and boil for at least 10 minutes.

Keep the pan's cover on until you need to use the equipment. Be aware teats get sticky and unusable more quickly from boiling, compared to other methods of sterilising.

Cold water sterilising

To cold water sterilise your baby’s bottle-feeding equipment, you can use a non-toxic solution, such as Milton, dissolved in cold water. It also comes in tablet form. The solution kills bacteria very effectively. You’ll need to change the solution every 24 hours.

You can buy special sterilising units for cold water sterilising. Or you can use a clean bucket or plastic container with a lid. If you use a bucket or container, use something, such as a heavy plate, to keep the bottles and other equipment completely under the solution. You need to check that there are no air bubbles left in the bottles, and keep everything submerged for at least 30 minutes to sterilise everything.

Take out bottles and teats only when you need to use them. Give each item a shake as you take it out, or rinse off the fluid with cool, boiled water, if you prefer. However, your baby won't come to any harm by feeding from bottles and teats that are taken straight from the sterilising solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back