BLW massive mummy fail!

mrswoody

Reaction score
So I gave M some cucumber this evening and she loves it. Sucking away and chomping on it.
She had finished nothing left in her mouth so we cleaned up played then I lay her down a second while I was getting a drink.
Well cue coughing and spluttering. I picked her up and she looked like she was choking I panicked and tapped her back to help her get it up, up came some saliva then about 5 minutes later when she was smiling and laughing a little bit of cucumber.
I swear she was going blue and nearly called a bloody ambulance.
I've had a massive mummy fail here and feel terrible-really upset. I didn't even think she might have something left in her mouth?!!!!
My friend was there and she was totally cool and calm about it.

I feel like I'm too scared to carry on with it now but she has been doing so well until tonight.

xx

Gosh hun, I really feel for you (and this has put me off giving James cucumber today :shock:)

I think you should carry on, just be extra vigilant and maybe offer a little water or a small feed as soon as she is done eating.

I tend not to put James 'down' after any food. He goes from highchair or bumbo to his bouncer for a while. I do this on purpose just in-case he did have any remnants off food left.

I watch James like a hawk at the moment, I make sure I spot anything that has a chunk missing and can account for said chunk....

'Tis tough but I am really enjoying BLW.

I started a thread yesterday as James literally shoves anything and everything as far down his throat as he can. He has no trepidation or caution which freaks me out big time

xxxxxxxxx

Thanks lovely. I only put her down as I was at my friends for dinner otherwise she would have been upright.
I'm going to keep going but try something else today.
This could have happened with whatever I gave her I suppose.
I'm sure it was her gagging but god is it scary. I've you tubed the gagging and it looks like what the other babies do.
I read that chocking is silent and gagging isn't so this helps.

X

Oh hugs Hun how scary! I read somewhere that they can keep food in their cheek pouches and not know how to get it out as they don't have the muscles developed yet. It's worth a poke around in her mouth when she's done eating (or a look) xx

I will have a good look after meal times now. Lesson learned for me :) x

This has reminded me to check T's mouth better after mealtimes. I've become a bit lax about that lately, and sometimes she wants to go to sleep shortly after a meal. If it was just a small bit of cucumber, it was probably just gagging. T gags silently all the time, usually because she has put too much in her mouth or has something stringy in there like an orange segment that she can't quite deal with. I'd just keep going and keep checking her mouth after meals and I'm sure she'll be fine. BLW is great fun and really satisfying, isn't it? xxx

Ah, I'm a bit slack when it comes to checking Ethan's mouth when I take him out of his highchair too! He does have a little beaker of water after mealtimes though, so I think that washes most of the remaining bits of food anyway..
Must check his mouth more now! xx

Usually what I do is open my mouth so Cody opens his to check if any bits are left or i just do a finger check but its easier to look int he mouth first as HE HATES me digging in his mouth as he has no teeth and I think his gums are swollen.

Usually what I do is open my mouth so Cody opens his to check if any bits are left or i just do a finger check but its easier to look int he mouth first as HE HATES me digging in his mouth as he has no teeth and I think his gums are swollen.

Not to be a pessimist (dunno if that's right) but putting your fingers in their mouth could do more harm than good, you risk pushing something in the mouth back past the gag reflex.

This is why first aid courses teach you not to put anything in the mouth if someone who is choking.

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

Not to be a pessimist (dunno if that's right) but putting your fingers in their mouth could do more harm than good, you risk pushing something in the mouth back past the gag reflex.

This is why first aid courses teach you not to put anything in the mouth if someone who is choking.

Okay I understand that. I only do it to do a thorough check once I've looked to see if there i sanything in the mouth if I am still unsure and only along the gums not to push back from the tongue. Didn't explain that thoroughly but to eachs own and just opening your mouth to show them to open their mouth to check should be sufficient.

Hope I didn't come across as bitchy, just some folks first instinct is to attempt to pull things out of mouths, which can do more harm than good, especially if your not aware there is a risk. X

Hope I didn't come across as bitchy, just some folks first instinct is to attempt to pull things out of mouths, which can do more harm than good, especially if your not aware there is a risk. X

No I would rather you give your advice as well. But really I would say just look in the mouth without putting fingers in. I did take the first aid course as well. I just didn't really answer it properly because she was looking as it from the prospecitve of something being stuck which is your answer to that I was thinking of checking without it being stuck and choking just doing the check if they are still eating.

But I Would say she should go with what you said hun. x

Thanks girls. I make sure I have a good look in her mouth now when we finish and keep her upright afterwards too.
We've had little gagging incidents but I've not flapped instead I just praise her when she spits it out :)

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back