Bludgeoned into Breastfeeding???

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was in hospital the woman in the next bed was trying to bf, I spent hours listening to her crying her heart out trying to feed while the midwives stood telling her to just keep going no matter what. I was so upset for her but hopefully she persevered and continued to bf

For me personally, I wasn't overly enthusiastic to bf but was going to give it ago, she never dropped any birth weight and really thrived on my milk but after 3 weeks even my OH commented on how detached I was becoming from her and couldn't even look at her when she fed. I have no idea why I basically shutdown that whole emotional side but as soon as I started FF, I got that snuggly closeness with my baby again.
Next time I do intend to try BF again but I wont beat myself up if I become emotionally detached again, even if I only manage a few weeks again, I'll be happy with that. I'd rather that than feel that detachment again in all honestly

Certainly not it's your choose after all.

If everyone was actually feeling selfish for not doing it then everyone would have bf providing that she can.

But that still doesn't give you to right to call 'anyone' (not just me, I understand) selfish! I'd never dream of saying that to someone- just no need as its not your business if they do or don't 'want to'.
We don't have to justify our reasons for not wanting to either so if the midwife asks me why I won't, she will just be told I don't want to, I don't have to give a reason!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But most likely the midvives will. Because breastmilk is the best thing, formulas try to mimic it but every now and then scientists find some things in breastmilk that cant be put into.formula(like bacteria that go to babies gut).
I personally dont care how you feed your child as long as you feed them but for me it doesnt change.the fact that it is a selfish decision if you "just dont want to".
There are many reasons why people cant including taking medication etc and they would.love to so.why make a decision.for your child not to.even give them.colostrum (which is liquid gold as it.has antibodies).
I have no problem with formula but i bow to mothers who tried(even if it didnt work out)
I am rambling now, i am off to sleep as i have a poorly child.
Anyway, all of the above is my opinion and nothing will change it and of course people dont have to agree with me.

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

Ok, so everyone is giving their 'opinion'... my opinion is that I'm getting sick of being told I'm selfish if I chose not to breastfeed any subsequent children I may have. As I said before I tried with my LO, but he wouldn't latch. I was only going to bf for a short while as I was not comfortable doing it. When I tried to bf him I felt anxious and tense which I'm sure didn't help him with his latch.
If I am selfish for wanting to feel comfortable and happy in my own home feeding my baby then I'm selfish. Babies pick up on how their mummies are feeling so if mummy is tense, and anxious when feeding them they will sense that.
I just wish some people would get off their high horses. It's no-one elses business how anyones baby is fed. Each to their own.

Ok, so everyone is giving their 'opinion'... my opinion is that I'm getting sick of being told I'm selfish if I chose not to breastfeed any subsequent children I may have. As I said before I tried with my LO, but he wouldn't latch. I was only going to bf for a short while as I was not comfortable doing it. When I tried to bf him I felt anxious and tense which I'm sure didn't help him with his latch.
If I am selfish for wanting to feel comfortable and happy in my own home feeding my baby then I'm selfish. Babies pick up on how their mummies are feeling so if mummy is tense, and anxious when feeding them they will sense that.
I just wish some people would get off their high horses. It's no-one elses business how anyones baby is fed. Each to their own.

Here here xx

You can always try express some colostrum if possible...

But you tried with your lo and it didnt work out for you. You still tried, did you feel bullied into.trying? Did you actually speak to someone about it? Midvives can be very blunt and not always helpful as people have anxieties about BF (as i did) but i got help from a friend in the end.

From what i see a lot of negativity comes from not successful experience and to me it just shows there isnt enough support available.

Tried that... had a health care assistant hand expressing colostrum from my breast into a syringe. I sat in a hospital bed for other 30 minutes having a complete stranger mess with my breast to get 1 drop of colostrum out. It was one of the most embarrasing moments of my life. As someone who is very self conscious, it was one of the worst moments of having LO. I found it completely degrading.

You can always try express some colostrum if possible...

You can express colostrum.into a tea spoon, thats what i did to give it to LO

But you tried with your lo and it didnt work out for you. You still tried, did you feel bullied into.trying? Did you actually speak to someone about it? Midvives can be very blunt and not always helpful as people have anxieties about BF (as i did) but i got help from a friend in the end.

From what i see a lot of negativity comes from not successful experience and to me it just shows there isnt enough support available.

Yes I felt bullied into trying. I never wanted to bf because I am very self conscious. I didn't want to feel uncomfortable in front of other people if I had to feed LO which would have happened. I could never have sat and bf my lo in front of my dad or OH's parents or anyone.
I didn't speak to anyone about it as I was happy with my decision to ff.

Tried that... had a health care assistant hand expressing colostrum from my breast into a syringe. I sat in a hospital bed for other 30 minutes having a complete stranger mess with my breast to get 1 drop of colostrum out. It was one of the most embarrasing moments of my life. As someone who is very self conscious, it was one of the worst moments of having LO. I found it completely degrading.

I am sorry you had such an experience. I found people were helpful in the hospital and didnt make me do.anything i didnt want to. It just shows inconsistent care can scar people for life

Yes I felt bullied into trying. I never wanted to bf because I am very self conscious. I didn't want to feel uncomfortable in front of other people if I had to feed LO which would have happened. I could never have sat and bf my lo in front of my dad or OH's parents or anyone.

That's how I feel and I find it unsociable to keep going off to feed them, I want my husband to also be involved as he wasnt able to be for his children from his previous marriage. Xx

I was the same. I shuddered at the thought of BFing my baby, it didnt feel natural at all and i didnt want to get my breast out.
I.never had to.because i had a feeding cover and you.couldnt see a thing.
I still think giving colostrum is the best thing ever, if you can of course.
But it genuinly saddens me to hear people's feelings and fears were not taken.into consideration.
In the end of the day its your choice and your baby but its great that you even tried, because you never know, it might have worked out.

Haven't most of us been there, done that and worn the t-shirt with the bf v formula debate?

Anyhoo, the OP, from what I gather was just making a comment on how some women feel pressurised into how they feed their lo.

Haven't most of us been there, done that and worn the t-shirt with the bf v formula debate?

Anyhoo, the OP, from what I gather was just making a comment on how some women feel pressurised into how they feed their lo.

Yes she was and I agreed that i was worried about being pressured into it, then people think they have the right to have a go and star calling us selfish! Xx

I agree .... I dont feel selfish for not breast feeding . I had no support what so ever from any health professional . X

Don't feel pressured my love, you can only do your best :)

That's how I feel and I find it unsociable to keep going off to feed them, I want my husband to also be involved as he wasnt able to be for his children from his previous marriage. Xx

U should never be bullied to do anything u don't want . Your ff it's not as
If ur starving ur baby and a happy mummy makes a happy baby xxxx

U should never be bullied to do anything u don't want . Your ff it's not as
If ur starving ur baby and a happy mummy makes a happy baby xxxx

My thoughts exactly xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics