Blood test question

NickyB

Reaction score
This might make me sound stupid. I keep reading people's posts about their blood test results. Are we talking the blood taken at booking in, I thought that was blood grouping, HIV and various other nasties. Am I supposed to have separate ones for downs and so on, or because I didn't want the nuchal scan, did I not get the blood tests?

I was a little confused, and thought I'd ask what bloods you've had taken ahead of my next MW appointment, I don't mind waiting - sure it's not urgent.

I had my bloods done at 16 weeks (normal time) but that was just to check antibody levels etc... I refused the downs screening (which should have been around then too) but they were separate tests for me..

xx

Hi, I had bloods done at booking (Booking bloods upto 12 weeks)- like you say HIV, Grouping etc and then at 16 weeks (Screening) i had Downs & Spina Bifida test, 28 weeks will be Rhesus Negative and Anti D Screening and then thats its i think.

I had separate bloods done for the triple test at about 16 weeks. Although when I got my letter back it just said that I was not high risk for Down's and Spina bifida, I notice a lot of girls got their risk as a 1 in something ratio.

When you have your 20 week scan they will check the thickness of the skin at the base of your LO's neck as this can indicate Downs Syndrome. I believe they can do a similar check with the spine for spina bifida. I think the blood test cannot indicate a problem they are just an indicator of risk.

So, maybe I should have had more bloods at my 16 week appointment? I had better ask at the 20 week one.

Thanks for your help girls!

my MW said to me that the 16 week bloods are screening for downs and spina bifida etc becasue in this are we are not offered the nuchal scan...only the blood tests.

I didn't have the earlier bloods because I was nearly 13 weeks so I'm having both sets of bloods done at 17 weeks.

are we are not offered the nuchal scan...only the blood tests.

I think the checks are carried out at the 20 week scan, and the bloods are done at 16 weeks or thereabouts.

Nuchal scan is done between 11 weeks and 13 weeks plus a few. Not done later than this.

FWIW I had a Nuchal scan at 12 weeks and had the bloods taken with it so it gave better results for the Doctor reading them. The scan was great and when they do that and combine it with the bloods it gives a better indication.

Usually the triple test (if you are having it) is done a little before/at 16 weeks as I understand it. This is because of the follow up (if you opt for it) which is an amnio which is done around the same time frame. I don't think amnios are done much later than this.

I've not heard of them doing the blood tests or amnios at 20 weeks plus tbh, but who knows.

NickyB said:
So, maybe I should have had more bloods at my 16 week appointment? I had better ask at the 20 week one.

Thanks for your help girls!

You should have been asked about bloods for downs and spina bifida risk factors. they wouldn't take them without asking you first.

Ask what bloods they have done when you are next there. At 20 weeks it's now too late for the risk factor bloods anyway.

If you didn't want the Nuchal then are you really worried that you've missed the bloods? Both combined give a better result than one or the other on their own. As I understand/recall it when having a Nuchal scan they do bloods then rather than wait till 16 weeks. That's what happened with me. I never needed bloods taken at 16 weeks as it had all been done at once with the scan :)

A very fair point. I think when I declined the NT scan I was just worried about reaching 12 weeks. Now I'm onto my next worry! I'm sure it'll be ok, and if it's too late, it's too late! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back