breast milk

Kylie1007

Reaction score
Does anyone know how long the baby has to feed for before the hind milk comes in?

Finn lost his 1st lot of weight (as expected) the rather than putting on again he lost a bit more, put on the bit he lost and then stayed the same. MW didn't know if he was just getting the foremilk and not the calorific part. She said to do the whole feed on one side which I am trying but he stops after 10 mins - like he's letting his food go down. This generallly coincides with him being grizzly because he needs his nappy changing so I will change him and then put him back on the same side to continue feeding for about another 10 mins.

Is he likely to be getting the hindmilk now or is that still not enough time?

Hey :wave: Some babies only feed for 10 mins as that is as much as they need, his tum is still small and he might be full after that long. DD used to feed for hours but DS was more efficient and rarely fed for longer than 10 mins unless he feel asleep on the boob. You're doing the right thing by changing him mid feed and putting him back on the same side, some people also feed off one side for 3 hours then the next side for any feeds over the following 3 hours to make sure they're getting hind milk. I did read once though that some hind milk gets flushed out with the foremilk when you let down.
Wait and see how he gets on at his next weigh in and try not to worry :hug: If he's weeing and pooing then he's taking lots of milk in, breastfed babies tend to put on a lot less weight than formula fed ones. The fact that he stayed the same at his last weigh in indicates that he's not losing weight every time and I'm sure he'll start gaining soon. My only advice is to watch your baby and not the scales/clock. If he's happy, alert (as much as a newborn can be), producing wet and dirty nappies then you're doing a fine job :)
Congrats on your new baby and hey to a fellow Devonian :wave:

Thanks for your advice...

Yes - we are having plenty of wet nappies and have lost count of number of dirty nappies now!

Hi

I completely agree to what Kina said for Kadyn he ate of one side for 2-3 feeds then switched to the other :)
Katrina

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back