Bleeding after birth

Holi

Reaction score
Sorry if posting in wrong section

This is my second baby, both vaginal births and straight forward. stitches with first daughter, non after second daughter.

I'm on day 9 now and my bleeding is still quiet heavy and clotty. I don't remember it being like this last time. For example I've just got out the shower and just had a bit of loss while walking to the bedroom. I thought it'd be getting better now but don't feel like it is. Sound normal to still be having a fair amount of loss 9 days post birth?? I feel fine in myself no light headedness of pains anymore xx

I'm pretty sure by day 9 my bleeding was light. There for a while longer but always light. Do you have your day 9 midwife check today? I'd ask to be sure if it's still got clots

Oh god congrats Holi .. I didn't even know you'd had baby.
Another daughter ?? Wow !!! How did it all go ?

Xx

I don't want to worry you, but I'd ring up the hospital & let them know. Around 2 weeks after my daughter was born I was still bleeding quite heavy. I also started getting a little bit of a fever, I called up out of hours & she said 'if you think it's a lot, come in tomorrow, but it is normal to bleed especially if you aren't taking it easy' SO, I said
I'll come in tomorrow morning, a little embarrassed I went to bed & woke up the next day the bleeding stopped so I rang up my midwife and said I'm okay now it's stopped she said to come in anyway, I went & ended up staying in over night with retained placenta with a risk of infection. Luckily I didn't have any infection in there (it was a respiratory infection I had which was why temp & BP were up) Just better to be safe and get checked.

I can't really remember how heavy it was as it was 9yrs ago, but, I remember I had stopped bleeding by day 14, and the last few days were just spotting.

At day 9 though I wouldn't worry about it being heavy.

Breastfeeding can make the blood come away faster, so the bleed is heavier, but doesn't last as long. I think I'd prefer 2 weeks of heavy bleeding and done than 4 weeks of continuous light bleeding lol. Not saying that those are the only options, just that if it's heavier now, chances are it will stop sooner?

I bled loads and it was heavy for ages - I was still bleeding at 6 weeks after birth!

I was still bleeding quite heavy by that point tbh. But I think it's more important to consider what is normal for you. If this is very different to last time then I would consider speaking to midwife to make sure. No harm done if everything is okay. Is what they are there for - to give you peace of mind whilst you are busy looking after a new baby x

Holi congrats I didn't know you'd had the baby. Hope you're adjusting to being a family of 4! With regards to the bleeding I think you should speak to your community midwife (if you haven't already been handed over to HV). I bled heavily for 3 days after Matthew and ended up needing a blood transfusion. Not to worry you I'm sure it's fine but defo mention it xxx

Thanks ladies for all the advice and congratulations (Ginny is a little gem!) but my it's exhausting having two to look after I hope I can manage when oh goes back to work!

I think I know that I have not been taking it easy. I feel too guilty on rosie to not do anything so we've been having quiet a few days out. Tomoro rosie is at nursery and I have a midwife app so I will mention my worries. Then I will go home for a day in front of TV, cuddles and rest! X

My bleeding with my second daughter was definitely heavier than my first - MW said its normal for second babies. Partially because we have to run around looking after the older one and can't really take it easy! I was very worried up until day 10, then day 11 it suddenly and abruptly lightened. MW said as long as I wasn't soaking a pad each hour and passing clots bigger than an egg it's ok... By all means speak to your MW and get checked if you are still worried especially if you feel dizzy or feverish etc. Hope it improves very soon for you though!

My bleeding didn't completely stop until 6 weeks post-birth, and I had a c-section. The last two weeks weren't everyday, but at least every other day. I was told if I saw any clots or pads were being soaked continuously, to get checked immediately. As far as I am aware you can bled for at least 2 months afterwards. Remember, every birth is different!

Its better to get in consult with the doctor regarding this. if you develop the following symptoms, as you may have an infection:

The lochia has an unpleasant smell.
You come down with a fever and/or chills.
The bleeding stays heavy, and is bright red, after the first week.
Your tummy feels tender low down on one or both sides.

So its better to consult.

Last edited:
How are you now? Hope it was nothing serious!

Loads better thanks for asking!! No major losses now and it's like to just a light period! I did speak to my midwife about it and they basically said everything that you lot did! And they mentioned that BF can make loss happen quicker! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back