Birthmark??

hels

Reaction score
When Charlotte was born she didnt have a birth mark...but since week two she has developed a strawberry type mark on her back. It has grown quite a bit, and is now about 3mm by 2mm. It isnt raised at all.
Does any one know anything about these tyoe of birthmarks? Will she always have it now, and will it keep growing with her? will it raise up?

Brody has one so I have become something of an expert :)

He didn't have one at first either, but it slowly appeared and is getting a bit bigger.
Brodys is a bit raised now too. Apparently they will get more raised and bigger till they are around 18 months to 2 years old, then after a couple more years they totally disappear!
Brody's is on his waistline by his hip so I'm not bothered about it at all. At first I was a bit.....sad(?) about it, but when you look at the facts these types of mark are usually found on the face so we're lucky :)

I'll take a pic of Brody's if I remember and post it here.

Hi

I have one on my back and like you said my dad said it grew really big then its slowly gotten smaller but now its about the size of a loonie.
I have always hated showing my back cuz of it and i still do cuz people point at it and comment. but my doc said they are removable just havent remembered to ask how and how much ect.
So they do not always go away although i wish mine did.

Kiara has two birth marks not sure what they are called .. one on her neck its small and pink and on her foot she has pink around a few toes, the doc says those ones are raised veins.

Yeah aimee has 3, one on her belly and 2 on her back and they were not there when she was born. They have raised up now and are quite big. Doc said the same, they will keep growing till she is around 2 then they should start shrinking. he also said to keep an eye on them! Don't relly know what for though

I have one on the back of my neck still which appeared after I was born. Most peoples diosspaears apparently but mine has stayed and gets redder every now and again. Doesn't ever bother my though and I forget it's there.

Both my brother and sister have that mark on the back of the neck/head under their hair, and Naomi has it too, but it's not always there. They're called port wine stains aren't they?

My other brother has a big brown one behind his left ear, quite visible, about the size of a small orange. It isn't raised or anything, it's just like a patch of tan that hasn't worn off. The interesting thing is that his eye (green) on that side has a big brown patch in it too, so it looks like he has two different colour eyes sometimes.

Sue

Mine is just a strawberry birth mark as it fades and appears...or so I was told it's that anyway! LOL

I looked on google and found this:

Types of Hemangiomas
One kind of hemangioma is called a strawberry hemangioma. If you think it gets its name from the fruit, you're right. A strawberry hemangioma is bright red and sticks out of the skin, so it does look a little bit like a strawberry. Some strawberry hemangiomas go away on their own by the time a kid is about 5 years old. Almost all strawberry hemangiomas go away by themselves by the time a kid is about 9 years old.

There is another type of hemangioma that is beneath the outer layer of skin. It's called a cavernous (say: ka-vur-nus) hemangioma. Cavernous means "like a cave," which is deep in the earth, like this type of birthmark is deep beneath the outer layer of skin. This kind of birthmark is puffier than a strawberry hemangioma. It's also a different color: not red like a strawberry, but more bluish-red. Cavernous hemangiomas usually don't go away by themselves.

Port-Wine Stains
Another kind of hemangioma is a port-wine stain. This isn't puffy or raised like a strawberry or cavernous hemangioma - it's level with the outer layer of skin. A port-wine stain is an area of skin that is either maroon (a purplish-red color) or dark red. It gets its name from port wine, a type of wine that is dark maroon. Kids who have port-wine stains usually have them on the face and neck.

I think a pale pinky one on the nape of the neck is known as a "stork mark"

Cheers Urchin - I was wrong totally then :lol:
Mine isn't raised and is defo there.

I found this....

Stork marks and angel kisses are extremely common in newborn babies, says Dr Bethell. 'They are small salmon-coloured marks most often found on the forehead, eyelids and back of the neck.' They don't need treatment because they usually fade as the child grows.

Haemangiomas are also quite common, affecting about 1 in 20 babies. Dr Bethell says: 'They are sometimes called strawberry marks because they are red in colour with a raised appearance.' Haemangiomas are not usually present at birth, but develop in the first few weeks of life. Most disappear by the time the child is about seven years old.

Portwine stains are less common, affecting about 3 in every 1,000 people. They are usually present at birth. Dr Bethell says: 'They are red and flat in appearance, and don't go away of their own accord, although their appearance can be successfully reduced with laser therapy.

Mine must be port wine then, or a stork bit mark which just wont fade? :roll:

Port wine stains are the colour of red wine I think, stork marks are kinda pale pinky and can be permanent.

I'll ask Mark what colour it looks when he gets in - I can't see it lol. Think it's only pinky, must be a stubborn stork mark. Goes bright red when I'm crying or stressing though :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back