Birth without pushing?

Surveyor

Reaction score
So I watched a Youtube video about how "active pushing" is not necessary in childbirth. The video mentioned that "active pushing" causes tears. The video talks about relaxing into childbirth and how "active pushing" can actually draw out labour. I have grown up very aware of how integral pushing is when giving birth, so this idea seems really strange to me.

Is it true that "active pushing" isn't necessary or is it a myth? Have any of you given birth without "active pushing"? Do any of you plan on giving birth without "active pushing"?

That's what they say about taking a poo too but how does one stop the natural urge to push?

When I had my daughter there's no way I could have not pushed! My body just took over and it just happened, it wasn't something I chose to do.

XX

Agree it's completely involuntary. I'd not have been able to stop myself I don't think. Your body and instincts take over. My tear was caused by me pushing too hard cause baby was in distress. So I did that myself in the hurry to get her out.

Last edited:
I've never given birth before, but yeah it seems pretty weird to not push. Happy to see I'm not the only one hehe. Isn't it only natural to do what your body is telling you to push?

I have been to hypnobirthing class and the teacher said that you can breathe baby out with a special breathing technique. Maybe google hypnobirthing and pushing as it might shed some light? X

My mum was telling me that when she had my sister (40 years ago) she was almost asleep and didn't have to push at all. It only took 10 min from the moment she was fully dilated for my sister to come out!

'Ive heard that people who faint etc can still push because their bodies take over. So I totally believe your mums birth story.

But I think if you're conscious, it would be very hard to avoid the urge. I had that "push" urge and managed to avoid it for the 1st two times because I wasn't at the hospital yet. By the third time I just had to push down. x

Yeah it’s about ‘breathing’ the baby out. My friend who gave birth a few months ago had some success with it though I agree I struggle to see how you can fight the urge to push. I’m due by 1st Dec so going to give it a bash - I’ll update if any success!

Yeah it’s about ‘breathing’ the baby out. My friend who gave birth a few months ago had some success with it though I agree I struggle to see how you can fight the urge to push. I’m due by 1st Dec so going to give it a bash - I’ll update if any success!

Yeah Candy let us know how it works out! Nice to have willing guinea pigs hehe. Wishing you the best in your coming labour.

Kinda wondering if this is all semantics, "breathing out" sounds a lot like low-key pushing. A more relaxed way of saying it, like how some people call contractions "surges" because it sounds better.

Ooh so close how exciting! I'll be interested to see if you give it a go. Good luck with baba xx

Npt sure if this counts as i had the epidural..With my daughter I had the epidural and like 20 minutes after I'd got it I started feeling pressure and like I could feel her head but I was only 5cm before the epidural so I thought nah it can't be. .I just lay there and relaxed for another hour and a half and I kept feeling this pressure and it kind of felt like I wanted to push but I didn't really , I didn't go against anything but I didn't actively push..i didn't buzz the midwife in as I was nervous I'd still only be at 5cm lol and I was kind of enjoying the relief the epidural gave me and just enjoying relaxing knowing shed be here soon. Anyway when she did check me I was fully dilated and then she left me a little longer then when I did start pushing after 1 push they could see her head easily and she said that usually happens like average 45 mins into pushing . It only took 3 contractions and 11 mins for her to be born so I do wonder whether I was right and that id been dilated for quite a while and sort of breathed her out to start with lol. At no time did i feel like i absolutely had to push..i only pushed because they told me too lol i would of happily been able to keep breathing through the pressure. Haha not sure if I'm making sense but I do think it's possible to not actively push! But epidural may affect things. I could feel contractions and pushing like the pressure but just no pain. I did tear , but was just 2nd degree tear and I thought that was pretty good for how quick she came out once I started pushing actively xxx

Thanks girls! Have a google of it Or on YouTube there’s some great vids by the positive birth company that explain it well. The idea is deep breath in then out and guide that down through your body. Best way to practice is with a poo and you can kind of understand the theory of it that way! Surveyor, low key pushing is probs a good way to describe it!

Millie that does make sense! I’m aiming for no epi this time (for medical reasons - not being a hero!) so fx will be able to have something to compare it to x

This is really interesting. Maybe there's a fine line between the natural pushing your body instinctively and then actively pushing and straining and that's what they mean. Xx

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

This is really interesting. Maybe there's a fine line between the natural pushing your body instinctively and then actively pushing and straining and that's what they mean. Xx

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

That makes a lot of sense. It sounds pretty reasonable that our bodies would intrinsically know the best time to push and that "forcing" a push could cause more harm than good. Gaaaah baby making seems tough.

-Sev

I have looked into this a little, apparently its called J breathing? I will certainly be giving it a go when the time comes anyway.
Its supposed to be the same as when going for a no.2, in fact that's supposed to be a good way to practice. When you go to the toilet, instead of pushing try to just relax, deep breaths in through the nose, long breath out and think about directing the breath down through the passage way, if that makes sense? Tmi but I have tried these recently due to it being so uncomfortable because of pregnancy problems lol, it really does work, is so much more comfortable and I have not had any issues since! I highly recommend anybody interested giving it a go, as well as for any of you suffering with haemorrhoids etc!

I have looked into this a little, apparently its called J breathing? I will certainly be giving it a go when the time comes anyway.
Its supposed to be the same as when going for a no.2, in fact that's supposed to be a good way to practice. When you go to the toilet, instead of pushing try to just relax, deep breaths in through the nose, long breath out and think about directing the breath down through the passage way, if that makes sense? Tmi but I have tried these recently due to it being so uncomfortable because of pregnancy problems lol, it really does work, is so much more comfortable and I have not had any issues since! I highly recommend anybody interested giving it a go, as well as for any of you suffering with haemorrhoids etc!

Haha practicing by pooping! Will have to give that a go, see if it helps my BMs.

-Sev

Well I can now report back on this! I was intent on ‘breathing’ my lb out. However, after a looooong (induced) labour my pushing stage came thick and fast (under 7 mins) and so initially had the involuntary urge to push and then once he was crowning there was no way breathing would’ve worked. Managed to practice a lot of hypno birthing techniques though which helped. I think if my pushing stage had been longer then the breathing would’ve been feasible x

Well I can now report back on this! I was intent on ‘breathing’ my lb out. However, after a looooong (induced) labour my pushing stage came thick and fast (under 7 mins) and so initially had the involuntary urge to push and then once he was crowning there was no way breathing would’ve worked. Managed to practice a lot of hypno birthing techniques though which helped. I think if my pushing stage had been longer then the breathing would’ve been feasible x

Thanks for reporting back! Do you feel like it helped at all with "breathing" to begin with?

-Sev

Interesting. As much as it sounds pretty serene, there was no chance with either of my births that I could control the urge to push. Second time round I found myself kind of convulsing each time- and both times it was very quick. Think you just have to listen to your bod!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back