'Benefit couple faked 16 children' - Just wtf?! How!

Sherlock

Reaction score
Grrrr at people like this. And how did it take so blooming long to figure out they were scamming! And how bloody easy it appears to have been. No need to provide birth certificates! :shock: Grrrr as our taxes pay for people like this :wall: :evil: And yes they get a prison sentence but grrrr do they have to pay a penny back? I seriously doubt it *ranty rant rant ranty Mac-rant rant rant*

Benefit couple faked 16 children. From BBC

Two people have been sentenced after claiming thousands of pounds in benefits for 16 non-existent children. Danny Wilshaw, 58, claimed more than £75,000 over four years and must serve half of a 20-month jail sentence. Nancy Stevenson, 59, of Weston-super-Mare, was accused of claiming up to £11,000 in child tax credits over four years. She was given a 12-month non-custodial order and must observe a curfew between 1900 and 0700 BST.

The pair, both from Weston-super-Mare, exploited a loophole after realising they did not have to send children's birth certificates to tax officials to prove they existed. After his arrest, Wilshaw, a gambling addict with 85 previous convictions for fraud, claimed he had done a public service by exposing the loophole.

He told officers: "It was incredibly easy. Nobody checked up on us until last week."

Wilshaw, who masterminded the scam, lived with Stevenson in a one-room property in the town during the period they claimed for the bogus children. He used the money to fund a gambling habit which cost up to £600 per week, while she admitted to drinking two bottles of brandy a day.

Judge Michael Harrington described Wilshaw's record as "appalling" after it was revealed he had 105 theft convictions. He was told he must serve 10 months of a 20-month prison sentence after being convicted of 42 fraud offences.

Stevenson, who admitted one charge of tax credit fraud, received a 12-month community order and was told she must wear a tag for four months. The judge said she spent her life "in an alcoholic haze".

After the case Sarah Bamford, of HM Revenue and Customs, said: "This case is the result of many months of intense and thorough work by a dedicated team of tax credit investigation officers, determined to see that these fraudsters were brought to justice."

BOGUS CHILDREN'S NAMES
Gareth Wilshaw
Simon Wilshaw
Sandra Wilshaw
Brian Wilshaw
Jason Wilshaw
Rebecca Stevenson
Phillip Stevenson
Edith Stevenson
Terry Stevenson
Barbra Stevenson
Amanda Phillips
Jessica Phillips
Miranda Evans
Jemma Williams
Danny Evans
Amber Mitchell

Makes you mad when you think about all the genuinely honest and hard working people who are stuggling to make ends meet yet they get bugger all help.

I don't know who to be more mad at, the stupid couple or the stupid tax credit system! :evil:

how can the loophole work when in order to claim income support or child tax credits for a child you have to give your child benefit number and to get child benefit you need to show a birth certificate?!! obviously it wasnt a loophole unless its different in different parts of the country, and it was just someone not doing their job properly. i know for a fact where i live that if you want to claim income support for a child you need a child benefit number and they give you the money when your child benefit claim has been confirmed by child benefit ppl and to claim child benefit you need to send in birth certificate. with child tax credits you also need to send in birth certificate, surely these r the rules for everyone in the country!!

xxxxxx

off topic but what checks do they do re registering the birth. Me and OH registered Cally and were not asked for any ID or anyhting, could we have just borrowed a baby and registered them or do they make background checks????

beanie said:
off topic but what checks do they do re registering the birth. Me and OH registered Cally and were not asked for any ID or anyhting, could we have just borrowed a baby and registered them or do they make background checks????

We had to show papers from the hospital. When Arianna was born we got a page to drop at the doctors, one to give to the HV on her first visit and one to give to the registrar

kimmumof2 said:
how can the loophole work when in order to claim income support or child tax credits for a child you have to give your child benefit number and to get child benefit you need to show a birth certificate?!! obviously it wasnt a loophole unless its different in different parts of the country, and it was just someone not doing their job properly. i know for a fact where i live that if you want to claim income support for a child you need a child benefit number and they give you the money when your child benefit claim has been confirmed by child benefit ppl and to claim child benefit you need to send in birth certificate. with child tax credits you also need to send in birth certificate, surely these r the rules for everyone in the country!!

I thought there was a standard practice but it appears not. Or else as you said, someone wasn't doing their job properly. But for it to go on for as long as it did, with as many children listed and so on it makes me wonder why no one twigged sooner. Its all on a computer database, so should cross check and so on.

Grrrrr at people like this :evil:

I cant believe they only got 10months. They should be forced to work 24/7 till they pay it back. This kinda stuff makes me sick, theyve scammed all that money that theyve wasted on booze and gambleing yet a family with kids go through crap to get help? :x

beanie said:

The Registery Office had details sent over from the hospital but the asked us to confirm the date, time, location of the birth to prove it was us. Not very secure imo as somebody could have easily found these out

16!!!!!!!! 16!!!!!!!! in a one bedroom place (ok, so they didn't have 16 children living there) but you'd think someone would have twigged!!

Arg that bugs me SO much they should have to pay it back and 10 months in jail for the woman, that's IT! grrrrrr

Well there deffo IS a loopwhole up to a few days ago because when i rang child tax credits a few days ago to claim for my second daughter i was told they dont need to send a applicationform out, they can do it over the phone. (i hadnt registered her birth yet) and that was it. Just her name they needed. - i thought it was weird.

I was told that when your just 'adding' children they dont need proof. (they did for my first)

And i recieved the money yesterday..

I personally don't get the logic behind the sentencing. At the very least, they should be made to pay the money back.... if not in cash, by contributing to society somehow. :|

Wow :shock: :shock:

When you ring Child Benefit to claim you must send the original birth certificate - they will not accept a copy -

I always thought that Tax Credits cross checked with Child Benefit seeing as they are both dealt with HM :think: :think:

Amazing how some people thing these scams up and then just shrug it off when found out

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back