Been to the council today

BabyBrain

Reaction score
The woman was so lovely! It was only a basic meeting to give me the forms to fill in and info but she made me quite positive about us getting a place. It will probably be a 1 bed flat til Bertie is a year old, it just depends on whether its a council place or assisted private rent.
Got to go back on Friday with all the forms and eviction letter, birth certificates etc and get the ball rolling. We have to be out by Christmas and with my counsellors report mentioning the FIL and his drinking it should hopefully happen without too much hassle. I've got to take my pregnancy notes too so she can photocopy the mw's recommendation for domestic abuse help and housing concerns

Fx please girls, it would be wonderful starting the new year looking forward to bringing Bertie back to his own little castle xxxxxxxxxx

Thats great news babybrain. Hope you get a lovely home for your lovely family :) xx

That's great news, fx crossed you're all settled by Xmas then x

It's doable love! We are currently driving to our 1 bed flat having picked the keys up today! As with you we might be here until he's 1 but it's warm and has a roof! It's totally doable and taken us 4 months but were here!

We're currently in Council Housing.

OH applied for it years ago when all his siblings were at home and they were seriously overcrowded but never pursued it. (this was with his Ex)

I found some old letters when we did move into our own place (1 bed, private rent, nearly crippled us financially :shock:) and I chased this up. He got his own place within 6 months and we made it a joint tenancy.

I know we are very lucky as Council housing is very hard to come by.

We have both lived in our borough since birth and it is where our family and friends are, so moving 'out' was not an option. We tried the renting privately for 2 years and it nearly killed us financially - we were on the verge of going back to our respective parents. Of course we cannot afford a mortgage.

The plan was always to go into a "right to buy" scheme with the Council but hopefully we will be legible for a bigger place at some point and be able to buy that - this is far away in the distant future though.

For the time being I am just grateful to have a reasonable prices roof over our heads and be close to our families.

We'll be in a 1 bed until the baby is a bit older.

Luckily it is a very big one bed.

Good luck with your quest BabyBrain, one less thing to worry about always helps!

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Got our eviction notice today :) I honestly didn't think the FIL would do it but he did. If I didn't want to punch him so much I'd kiss the old sod xxxxxxxxxx

Congratulations! Fingers crossed you're in for Christmas x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back