Been in hospital with LO - diagnosed severe acid reflux :(

littlemiss83

Reaction score
Hi ladies

You may have seen my previous post with regards to Kayden gasping for air & going blue at lips.

We were given gaviscon on Mon, on Sat things got worse & it happened 3x. We took him straight to A&E he was fine when we got there but they wanted to keep him in & monitor his heart rate all night. The consultant diagnosed him with severe acid reflux & has given more gaviscon & ranitadine (zantac) The hospital couldn't give ranitadine only a prescription so we've been giving him that today (takes around 24 hrs to kick in) so we're hoping we have no more "episodes"

Kayden was going blue & gasping at various diff times after feed & particularly when layed down flat, in his bouncer or on someone's knee. He has to keep raised at all times & he's been in his cot all day today as I just dont know what to do with him, he refluxed this morning & went blue when I was moving him to burp him, the acid is just coming up from his stomach so quickly, and is particluarly worse when coming up & down the stairs. So we have to give him gaviscon with every feed & ranitadine, basically until it stops (it dies down around 1yr) & we have to feed him upright, sit him upright for 45mins after feed & keep him reclined but not scrunched up (which is proving very difficult) dont really know where to turn to on advice about positioning, didn't get a chance to ask the consultant and dont really know who to turn to, my GP didn't even know about silent reflux so no doubt will be unhelpful about positions.

So, we're glad to find out the cause, but it doesn't make dealing with the "episodes" any easier, its absolutely heart breaking to watch this happen, I think im gonna need to get something from doc for myself coz im just not coping. Maybe if the medicine works he wont do it again & I might feel a bit better

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Im so happy to hear you have answers my thoughts have been with you since that first episode and I hope things improve now. X

Sent from my E15i using Tapatalk

Aww bless kayden :( I'm really glad you have answers but still not a nice thing for you to have to deal with. I really hope you're ok, xx

Oh babe! :hug: that must be horrible! But so glad you've had some answers and hope the prescription start to work soon! xx

Poor Kayden, must be horrible for him and sounds like a nightmare for you too. Wonder why it got worse the last few weeks, do they think it will improve when you start weaning him? Hopefully the mediation will kick in and make you feel calmer too very soon x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks ladies.

I've done a lot of googling & reading & apparently it peaks at age 4 months.

Oh and I forgot to say, Kayden had went from 6oz to 8oz bottles in 2 weeks, consultant said thats far too much, he's to go down to 6oz each feed & she said the sudden increase of milk may have made it worse, duno why it would still be happening this morning for example, if his milk has been cut down for a full day now

The research says that weaning can help, i will look into early weaning when im feeling a bit more human. I cant even visualise taking him out his cot, I took him out today in his buggy & he was ok, was for about 1hr max, i made sure he was positioned with a folded blanket under his head, but i was so paranoid & worried & it was horrible i just want him in his cot with his movement monitor on.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Awww love hope you are ok! And him! You poor things! Hopefully it'll improve now tho :)

:hugs: glad to hear you have an answer, but sorry it's not a better one. I hope you sort seething out. Xxx

Poor you, what a worry but at least you know what it is so hopefully meds will sort it soon xx

You poor thing, it must be so worrying. I hope the medication helps him soon :hugs:

Maybe you should go to your dr about not coping, it may be good to talk to them (btw I think you're coping brilliantly with this) :hugs:

Poor you, it must be so worrying. I hope the meds work soon xxx

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

You poor thing you must have been sick with worry. It takes a certain weight off knowing what it is but then you have a whole load of other stuff to worry about. Thinking of you xx

You must be jumping everytime he makes a noise, poor thing.
Hope the medicine sorts everything out and Kauden feels better asap xx

Poor kayden!! Glad you've got some answers now. Hope you start to feel better soon too, you must be exhausted :hugs: x

We have same problem with layla going blue etc due to server reflux if you want a tips or advice feel free to add me x

Thanks so much everyone. Its good to know i have some support, I've seen a new perspective to life.

Jazz, thanks for that, i'll send you a pm just now. Its difficult to find anyone thats experienced this kind of reflux.

xxxxxxxxxxx

You poor thing, hope the medicine starts working soon xx

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Mummy to Joshua 23-01-10 &
Dylan 03-02-2012 <3 xx

Atleast you've got an answer to what has been happening to him, poor boy :( xx

Poor little guy! I hope the meds work! Hugs! Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics