Becoming a parent - if I had a magic wand....

Beatlesfan

Reaction score
.... I would magic the following..

* pre-natal support groups for mum and dads to be - work would allow time off for this - to discuss any issues and get support for preparing them for bubs
* work to allow pregnant women to have a nap during the day to energise (provide rest room)
* couples to have weekly counselling/support sessions after having a baby for 6 months to support the changes in their relationship/lifestyle
* government to make it law that both parents can have 6 months off work fully paid and the mum or dad a year if desired
* for employers to allow parents to both work part time so they can co-parent and share childcare for 3 years and then be offered their jobs back full time if desired

thought of some more...
*parent and child spaces to be big as a rule to accommodate getting little ones in and out and only for children up to age of 10? spaces don't need to be near the store entrance, as long as there is safe pedestrian walking space
*spaces NEAR the store entrance for pregnant women!!! big spaces so you can open your door fully to get out comfortably
* some sort of enforcement/monitoring of the use of dedicated spaces so selfish people who shouldn't be using them don't

what would you magic for parents????

^^ what you said :dance:

...more funding to provide birth centres within hospitals rather than these horrible, clinical wards
...more midwives to provide better continuity of care EVERYWHERE rather than in just the select few places
...more spaces on public transport for buggies as well as seats for pregnant women (though I noticed on a train the other day that these exist already!)

im loving your ideas...

i would just like a little more help from the government financially as a "couple" trying to bring up their little one. It worked out that if i was on my own id be far better off which shouldnt be the case.. it should all be pretty even in my opinion. :(

def agree about car spaces, more interaction with the hospital where u are to deliver would be nice too - as would jus havin 1 midwife instead of 4 :roll:

Recycling days in every town/village, freecycle has never been useful to me, and if the local church, school etc had a weekly meet it would be great to pass on or take up others' kids clothes, toys etc :D

Making sure shops put maternity & childrens clothes on the ground floor!! Used to drive me mad having to drag my massive bump up umpteen stairs & now I have to wait forever for a lift to get upstairs with a buggy!!!

KERRYGOLD00 said:
Making sure shops put maternity & childrens clothes on the ground floor!! Used to drive me mad having to drag my massive bump up umpteen stairs & now I have to wait forever for a lift to get upstairs with a buggy!!!

Yeah... WTF is that all about? Especially when the lifts are always broken.

Happy half birthday Poppy btw :dance:

daftscotslass said:
...more spaces on public transport for buggies as well as seats for pregnant women (though I noticed on a train the other day that these exist already!)

I got the train to dundee every sat when I was pregnant to work and there were seats for elderly/pregnant. Never got one though - lazy buggers wouldn't get up for me :(

[quote="Beatlesfan"
*parent and child spaces to be big as a rule to accommodate getting little ones in and out and only for children up to age of 10? spaces don't need to be near the store entrance, as long as there is safe pedestrian walking space
[/quote]

I totally agree with this one. The only reason people park in them without children is because they want to park near the entrance and not walk so wouldn't be interested if they were further away.

Not really a goverment issue, just something I would like....

In my area there are hardly any places you can meet up with other mums in comfort (unless it is your own home -then you have to tidy!! :doh: )

It would be great to have a really spacious tea room/cafe with places to park prams or have prams next to you. Comfy seats and sofas for BF (I always get a bad back on those rigid wodden ones). Maybe some Bumbos on hand and some rugged floor space and play things. A well-sized changing area to accomodate a few people and a toilet you can take your pram into if you are on your own. Waitress service would be fab too so that you don't have to juggle a pushchair and three lattes! :)

In general, it would be great it there were more BF areas and rooms. Usually I find they are in the changing room which stink - I wouldn't want to eat in the toilet, so why should my daughter? Also, I find the chairs always quite uncomfy, a selection of different types of seats etc would be great to accomodate people of all shapes and sizes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back