Basil Brush getting done for racism!! Boom Boom!

SarahH

Reaction score
:roll: Whatever next!

Basil Brush has become embroiled in a racism row over a scene featuring a gypsy woman selling heather and wooden pegs.

Puppet First Appeared In 1960s Police are investigating after a traveller reported an episode of the Basil Brush Show, broadcast on digital channel CBBC.

It showed a gypsy character trying to flog items to the children's puppet - best known for his "Boom Boom" catchphrase.

A spokesman for Northamptonshire police said: "We can confirm we have received a complaint about a TV show featuring Basil Brush from a member of the public in February.

"The complaint was logged as an incident of a racist nature."

Advertisement
Joseph Jones, vice-chairman of the Southern England Romany, Gypsy and Irish Traveller Network compared the programme to the Black and White Minstrel Show.

He told the Mail on Sunday: "This sort of thing happens quite regularly and we are fed up with making complaints about stereotypical comments about us in words that we find racist or offensive.

"Racist abuse of black people is quite rightly no longer deemed acceptable, but when a comedian makes a joke on TV about pikeys or gypos, there's no comeback."

Basil Brush still appears on an updated version of the morning TV show Saturday Swap Shop on BBC2.

The character first appeared in 1960s and was based on the upper-class comic Terry-Thomas.

The BBC refused to comment

Will he go to prison or be put down? :lol:

if this is that important why wasnt it mentioned years ago, i think people like to make things out of nothing for nothing more then their own satisfaction coz quite frankly out of all the people in the world im sure only a small percentage give a shit, wish these people would get a life :roll: Or do the adult thing and just not watch it, duh :doh:

Gosh im in a mood arnt it :lol:

Fecking pikeys :roll: They were probably watching it on a stolen TV set in a caravan full of dangerous dogs while all the men were outside bare knuckle fighting. Some people are so touchy :shakehead:

BOOM BOOM :lol: how stupid...

It's Rod, Jane and Freddy from Rainbow people should be worried about! Publicising a threesome on TV! Just wrong :lol:

Hope I can get away with that, just realised we're in Off-Topic :doh:

lou said:
Fecking pikeys :roll: They were probably watching it on a stolen TV set in a caravan full of dangerous dogs while all the men were outside bare knuckle fighting. Some people are so touchy :shakehead:

are you a writer for the Basil Brush show??

beanie said:
lou said:

No I'm a pikey :D

lou said:
beanie said:
lou said:

No I'm a pikey :D

:rotfl: you crack me up

bellybump said:
I :evil: CANT :evil: STAND :evil: IT :evil: ARGHHHHH

What cant you stand? The Basil Brush or the stupidity of politically correctness going OTT

What are a bunch of pikey's doing watching Basil Brish? :shock:

kazlin said:
BOOM BOOM :lol: how stupid...

It's Rod, Jane and Freddy from Rainbow people should be worried about! Publicising a threesome on TV! Just wrong :lol:

Hope I can get away with that, just realised we're in Off-Topic :doh:

hey, I was watching an episode last week where rod jane and freddy were all in the same bed. Dodgy or what. :rotfl:

I doubt it was made as a racial slur, you just can take anything these days and twist it into a racist situation.

My sister and i were in fits over this today...

You girls are funny hahaa!!

x

did anyone check that the complainant had a TV licence???

feel sorry for the copper on the front desk recieving the complaint...must of been pissing himself.

Mon Basil!!! Call the RSPCA!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back