• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Back/hip pain in pregnancy

cinnamon81

Reaction score
Hi wondered if any of you ladies could give me a bit of advice?

I've had really sore hips and lower back for last few weeks, midwife says its probably pelvic girdle pain & referred me for physio but says it may take a while :roll:

I've been paying attention to my posture and going swimming, but i'm seriously considering going to an osteopath as I've heard from so many people about the differnece they make with back pain.

So I wondered if anyone had seen an osteopath when pregnant, and what do they do? Did it help?

And the same with physio when pregnant. Do they recommend exercises?

Any info would be great, I'm fed up crying when I move in bed at night :cry:

Have a look at the leaflets on this webpage:
http://www.acpwh.org.uk/index.php?topic ... e=leaflets

I have been given the Fit for Pregnancy and PGP leaflets. The Fit for Pregnancy one shows you how to get out of bed - fantastic advice. They are both really good leaflets.

While your on the site, I've now been given the Mitchell method one at the antenatal class with the physio for use during labour.

I haven't been to an osteopath because PGP is not a bone thing I don't think.

It might be worth calling the physio and asking it you could be given a tubigrip to keep you going until your appointment - my midwife gave me one to keep me going until I got the support belt from the physio and she said to wear both. You wear it from hip to top of bump so be glad it's winter :)

There are lots of threads on pregnancy forum - pelvic girdle pain used to be called SPD and there are still a lot of people calling it that so check out any that look useful.

Here is some advice based on my experience - don't do too much! I'm rubbish at following this advice and now I am close to bedridden though I can't lie any one way for any length of time without being in a lot of pain :wall:

If I'd taken more care from when it started I would probably still be able to do a lot of things that I can't now. I figured it would be like other aches and pains and with rest you improve. In my experience this has not happened. Or at least, it improves but doesn't get back to what it was before I pushed things too far. It would have been worth doing less earlier to be able to sit through a meal at the table now. :(

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I forgot to say - sleep on squishy thigs at night. You could get a memory foam topper if you want. The fantastic lady at John Lewis said if you were going for a feather mattress topper you'd be cheaper buying a quilt. So I sleep on top of our 2 spare quilts and because I'm so hot now I also sleep on top of the normal quilt (OH sleeps under it, we don't get up to much now :rotfl: ) Having the three quilts makes a big difference to the pain as long as I get OH to fluff them up each day.

Thanks thats great advice, theres loads of helpful info in the link as well - it'll take me all afternoon to read!!! :D

It'll be really helpful at your physio appointment too if you can say you've already been following this stuff. It saves being told to do these things then come back.

Sometimes the only comfy place to sit is on the gym ball (or in the bath) so if you don't have one you might like to get from TK Maxx or Argos. 5'8" or under you should get a 65cm ball and 5'8" or over you should get a 75cm ball.

If you don't already have one, I really recommend the fabric wheat rolls you get that you microwave then use as a hot water bottle. http://www.johnlewis.com/230401787/Product.aspx I have 4 :oops: (and that's from before being pregnant!) You can heat them all and pack them round all your sore bits :D I used to use them for period pain as they really help, lying one down your tummy and between our legs. That's not useful for now but I thought I'd say.

I had this but never got it until my due date. (Adam was 9 days late) It was very painful and I suffered from it for 2 weeks after I gave birth.

Just wanted to give you some hugs. I know what you are feeling. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back