• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Baby's got a big head

WrigleysBextra

Reaction score
Yesterday I went for a growth scan. The consultant measured me to be 5 weeks smaller than I should have been. When we got the scan results and saw my beautiful LO he/she was measuring fine. The only trouble is.....baby's 37 weeks big and baby's head is 40 weeks!!! Argh I hope it doesn't get much bigger. I've got to squeeze it out!

I was told the same at both my scans (34 and 37 weeks) and that baby mesurements were 3 weeks ahead and he was huge.

FWIW his head was not massive at birth. 34 cms iirc. He was an ounce short of 10lb so yes a large baby but certainly not difficult to push out.

In the later weeks its really hard to get decent measurements so don't take it as an exact science. Galen certainly did not measure what they had said based on the last scan.

I was told this too - his head was measuring 34 + 4 at my 32 week scan. I don't think its something to worry about.

FWIW, a woman I know was told her baby already weighed almost 10 pounds in utero, and when she finally had him, he was just short of 8 pounds. :think:

I just wanted to add that smaller babies (well not small but not massive) can be hard to push out so really shouldnt make much difference!
I struggled pushing out all mine and my first was 7lbs 12oz! Sherlock didnt struggle with her son at nearly 10lbs! It all depends on how your body works I guess!!

I had that too :roll: how dare they say my son had a big head!! :lol:

Then most recently they say his abdomen is measuring big...

I give up!

Steelgoddess said:
I had that too :roll: how dare they say my son had a big head!! :lol:

Then most recently they say his abdomen is measuring big...

I give up!

I had both tummy and head supposedly measuring big in both scans. Huge in fact. The Resistrars (I saw 2 different ones) and the Consultant were all doom and gloom and advised against my homebirth. They really don't inspire confidence in birthing a possible larger baby is all I can say. Luckily I took no notice and was relaxed about the possibility of LO being on the large side.

He popped out an ounce under 10lb and it was a really quick second stage lasting 34 minutes. I found it really easy to push him out.

Really, don't fret about it. Coming out there are two ways it'll happen. If he can't descend down due to being too big for your pelvis or his head being too big then they have options. I'm sure you'll be fine. Relax as much as you can between contractions and keep thinking positive. I did my second stage standing between contractions and squatting during them. Once his head crowned I remained standing and the final push was from standing.

Awww these babies love to torment us don't they!!

Evie has measuring bigger than the dates for weeks now, but recently, it was picked up that I'm carrying a lot of water so it's not all baby! They think she's between 7.5lb - 8.5lb which isn't huge :)

Anyway hun, your body will get him out without any problems. I'm sure :hug: xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwqdaa
Back