Baby nurofen every night??

ceebee

Reaction score
My HV has advised to give Harry baby nurofen just in case he's in pain from teething. She seemed to say I could give it to him every night to help him sleep but when I bought some it said not to give for more than 24 hours for babies under 6 months, so not sure what she's on about?

How often does everyone use baby nurofen for teething?

To be honest, I would only give it as a last resort.

I've only ever given Aaron calpol once.

James isn't teething yet so I have no idea how I'll cope when he does but I've never given him anything. Dr advised me to give him Calpol after first injections and I decided not to. I don't like the idea of preventative medication. Although of course is this case it's not preventative....

Have you tried the teething powder (I think the brand is Nelson's?) also the usual - teething toys and gel?

xxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
To be honest, I would only give it as a last resort.

I've only ever given Aaron calpol once.

I'm not happy about giving it to him really - can't imagine why she's suggested this unless I've got the wrong end of the stick?? She seemed to say it wouldn't stay in his system for long so would be fine?!

James isn't teething yet so I have no idea how I'll cope when he does but I've never given him anything. Dr advised me to give him Calpol after first injections and I decided not to. I don't like the idea of preventative medication. Although of course is this case it's not preventative....

Have you tried the teething powder (I think the brand is Nelson's?) also the usual - teething toys and gel?

xxxxxxxxx

I'm not keen either hon - don't want to give drugs for no reason. I've tried all the other stuff - powders don't seem to do anything.

On another note, wanted to ask you how you give James gripe water? I know you're supposed to spoon it in but how the hell does that work?? Also, can you give it before a feed? Thanks xxx

I would only give calpol/nurofen as a last resort too.. I would give him some teething gel/granules (we use Nelsons) if you feel his teeth may be bothering him xx

I'd defo only give Nurofen if it's needed, not 'just in case'. Just a word of warning it gives my Jack terrible wind! I always give calpol first then Nurofen if calpol doesn't help x

I would only give calpol/nurofen as a last resort too.. I would give him some teething gel/granules (we use Nelsons) if you feel his teeth may be bothering him xx

I've tried the powders but haven't noticed any benefits. Do you have to give them regularly? They're so expensive!! xx

My GP said nurofen is not for long term use, she said 3 days in a row at the most! It's so hard when they're in pain though and it's such good stuff! Have you tried anbesol? X

We only give it if LO's temperature is up as a result of teething. If his face it hot and he's running a bit warm then it's a god send. Otherwise we avoid it like the plague. I wouldn't use it routinely or as a preventative medicine.

we ou give calpol or nurofen as a last resort if she is still upset after other teething things like granules or anbesol. I personally wouldn't give it every night just in case, but maybe I hold out too long sometimes before giving her some xx

I've tried the powders but haven't noticed any benefits. Do you have to give them regularly? They're so expensive!! xx

His teething seems to come and go really! On bad days, he has one every couple of hours.. They are expensive but I've found them so effective, I don't mind paying it xx

I think nurofen and calpol is absolutely fine to use when it's needed - we've got through plenty of it in the last 3 years and would rather my children have it than be in pain but as someone else said I'd normally start with calpol and only add nurofen if necessary and I'd also only give it if i thought one of my children were in pain, not without any symptoms. I know loads of GPs and nurses though who have given it to their children fairly freely so they obviously think it's ok to use if in doubt!

I second the recommendation of anbesol btw and would definitely try that before giving calpol or anything else.

Last edited:

His teething seems to come and go really! On bad days, he has one every couple of hours.. They are expensive but I've found them so effective, I don't mind paying it xx

I'm just not sure if they work for Harry - you'll give anything a go when your baby's in pain tho. Will try them again... xxx

Thanks ladies :) I think I knew the answer to the question before I asked it really - why give meds if they're not absolutely necessary??! I have ordered some anbesol grape from USA and still waiting for it to arrive - hope it comes soon!! xxx

Last edited:
I also only give medicine when absolutely necessary. Max has really suffered with his teeth lately and medicine has really helped as a last resort but only once we've tried anbesol and Nelson's teething powder. In fact a few weeks ago he was really poorly and we were having to do calpol and ibuprofen every 2 hours just to keep his temperature down. We went to the docs and were told to continue to do that and see if he got worse! I wasn't prepared to do that long term so went back the following day and was given antibiotics. Like someone else said the hv/doctors seem happy for you to use meds pretty freely xxx

I wouldnt give medicine 'just in case'

I feel the same about calpol before jabs, theres no need x

tapatalking x

There's evidence now that giving Calpol unnecessarily before jabs reduces the effectiveness of the jabs.

I think giving ibuprofen every night is dreadful advice. Regular use of ibuprofen can cause gastric irritation, so I wouldn't be using it just in case.

xxx

Last edited:
There's evidence now that giving Calpol unnecessarily before jabs reduces the effectiveness of the jabs.

I think giving ibuprofen every night is dreadful advice. Regular use of ibuprofen can cause gastric irritation, so I wouldn't be using it just in case.

xxx

This is why I dont agree with it.

Obv temperatures are dangerous when too high, but to an exent when ill they need to rise as its the bodys way of fighting infection and when its reduced its prolongs the process so may feel ill for longer. Within reason though!!

I just think its unnessesary, like when people get a headache and reach straight for the painkillers, rather than drinking a glass of water, getting some fresh air or having a lie down. Plus I think it just becomes a bad habit xx

tapatalking x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salata Sara
Back