MEDISED AND DOCTORS OPINION

smile said:
medised and calpol night are EXACTLY the same! just different boxes and flavourings.
I have nothin against either of them in moderation but I do think the manufactorers should be honest about them so parents can make the choice.

I thought the difference was that medised had an antihistime in it. I was giving it when they had colds with temps and calpol for teeth.

Ive never found them drowsy with it. (medised)
In saying that, I gave Joe calpol (day) last night and he was like a space cadet, looking and me and laughing. He was tired anyway tho.

i'm not a doctor but personally i think medised is great.
i've only given it to hayden to help him sleep when hes had a cold
because it has a decongestant in it and helps aid sleep because it unblocks the nose so he can breathe. i wouldnt use it for teething or anything else, i'd just use calpol and bongela as they are a bit more suited
and would be less likely to make him drowsy.

this doctor sounds like an idiot medised is fine if used responsibly as you obviously have been-it wouldnt be available if it were that terrible.
perhaps hes seen cases of misuse but theres no need to tar everyone with the same brush and say it should be banned.
In that case glue and aerosols should be banned as teens have sniffed them and died.

i think that the medvines that help kids to sleep when ther epoorly are great my eldest seems to just get hyper on normal calpol and he wont sleep at all

Kina said:
I have to hold my hand up and say that I used medised when Ella wasn't ill :eek:ops We were on a long haul flight and had been waiting on the plane for a hour before take off (she was kicking the old ladies seat in front aswell, how embarassed was I when the old dear kept turning around and tutting). The flight was 9.5 hours long, plus that hour on the ground meant that we were in for the flight from hell. I'd exhausted every new toy in my bag by one hour into the flight and she was literally bouncing off the walls, so I gave her medised. After a while it kicked in and she had a much needed nap (she'd had 5 hours sleep the night before and was up at 5am). This was in December, just before her 2nd birthday.
*Awaits the lynching* :rotfl:

Don't blame you at all. I would have done the same.

I remember a flight back from France once, when my 18 month old DD was BESIDE herself crying. She was upsetting everybody on the aircraft and I just couldn't console her, I was even crying myself. I suddenly had a tap on the shoulder and the guy sat behind me just handed me a sachet of calpol and winked. I gave it to her, she settled......peace returned to the aircraft........
:)

Now I always go prepared....

Its not as if we are sticking a quarter bottle of jack daniels in their bottle :roll:

lauramumof2 said:
Its not as if we are sticking a quarter bottle of jack daniels in their bottle :roll:

is it just me that does that then? :rotfl:

I personally would not give Jack medised or similar unless he was poorly, I understand what your saying in terms of taking them on a long haul journey but I still don't agree with it.

If your baby is too young to be entertained on a 6/7/8/9 hour flight then he/she is too young to go on a long haul holiday and you should plan your holidays a bit better. Always time to go those places when the child is a little older and can cope better with the travel.

I just think it's wrong, basically doping up your child to give yourself some peace.

***runs away as fast as she can before the angry mob catch up*** :lol:

Sweetcheeks24 said:
I personally would not give Jack medised or similar unless he was poorly, I understand what your saying in terms of taking them on a long haul journey but I still don't agree with it.

If your baby is too young to be entertained on a 6/7/8/9 hour flight then he/she is too young to go on a long haul holiday and you should plan your holidays a bit better. Always time to go those places when the child is a little older and can cope better with the travel.

I just think it's wrong, basically doping up your child to give yourself some peace.

If I was going to some hot boring destination I'd totally agree, but Ella really enjoyed her holiday to Florida (Disney World etc) and I'd do the same this December when we go if required :D
Although not ill, she desperately needed sleep and had gone past the point of settling for a nap (which is difficult to do when you're strapped into an uncomfortable seat). And peace? Far from it when I still had Alex to tend to :rotfl:

Kina said:
Sweetcheeks24 said:

If I was going to some hot boring destination I'd totally agree, but Ella really enjoyed her holiday to Florida (Disney World etc) and I'd do the same this December when we go if required :D
Although not ill, she desperately needed sleep and had gone past the point of settling for a nap (which is difficult to do when you're strapped into an uncomfortable seat). And peace? Far from it when I still had Alex to tend to :rotfl:

kina...i fully agee with u TBH i dont feel taht u were "doping herup" but like u say she was in an uncomfy seat for along time and very over due on her nap...none of them go together and im sure she woke up in a better mood?

its not as if u give it to her every night just to get her to sleep...it was a one off and for a very understandable reason in my opinion, others may disagree but thats what i feel. :hug:

Buts that what it is Rhian.. you are doping up your child, even if it's because they are poorly and you are using it in the correct way. Side affects make the child dopey.

So feel free to discuss the issue at hand but please don't quote me as if I was having a go at Kina. My post was not directed at Kina in anyway. It was me voicing my personal opinion.

I'll state my point again, if your child can not settle on a long haul flight that is because they are too young to go. I didn't agree with the doctor in the original post saying it should be banned but I guess if he see's parents day in day out mis using it then I can see his point.

Ive never used medised, ive only used calpol and neurofen. I find once the pains gone little people will sleep anyway.

Sweetcheeks24 said:
Buts that what it is Rhian.. you are doping up your child, even if it's because they are poorly and you are using it in the correct way. Side affects make the child dopey.

So feel free to discuss the issue at hand but please don't quote me as if I was having a go at Kina. My post was not directed at Kina in anyway. It was me voicing my personal opinion.

I'll state my point again, if your child can not settle on a long haul flight that is because they are too young to go. I didn't agree with the doctor in the original post saying it should be banned but I guess if he see's parents day in day out mis using it then I can see his point.

I don't think that you were having a go at me, don't worry :D

Everyone has different opinions which is what makes this world interesting, imagine if we all agreed with each other, we'd be robots!

I don't mind giving it to Ella on an occasion like that where she desperately needed sleep but couldn't drop off (on the way home she slept the whole journey across our her seat and our laps, minus medised I hasten to add, as it was a night flight). She has been on a long haul flight before, when she was 10 months and was an angel on the flight as she was in her car seat which she was familiar with.
If I'm giving it to her once a year for sleep reasons on a plane then so be it. If I was constantly drugging my 2 month old baby to try and get them to sleep longer, then I think that's a little different. I'd also like to add that I'd been advised by an air stewardess at my toddler group to take it, so I guess it's a common thing to do?

mrs-tommo it's great that you've never needed to use medised, but little people don't always sleep after the pain has gone. Most painkillers for kids are jam packed with E numbers, calpol included, which can make some children hyper (medised is too but I guess the sleepy bit conteracts that!). My son won't sleep if he has a cold as he's up all night coughing and wheezing (his inhalers don't really do much when he has a cold), so like last night, at 1am, we ended up giving him 5ml of medised to help him sleep as he couldn't settle with his cough and snuffed up nose. Calpol would not have had the same effect and in the end it helped him sleep til 3 when the 30-40 minute waking began again.

Sweetcheeks24 said:
.. you are doping up your child, even if it's because they are poorly and you are using it in the correct way. Side affects make the child dopey.

Well, if it's a choice between seeing my child in distress, inconsolable and uncomfortable, and giving her something to calm her down, I'd go for calming her down any day. In my case my little girl was in pain, from the cabin pressure. Kids tend to suffer this more than adults.

And not all people are able to simply forego travel, or leave their LO's at home. So your statement is a little unfair to them, IMO :)

Thanks Kina.. :D

Sammystar - my statement is not meant to be fair/unfair on anyone. It's my opinion.

Just to stick in my two pence worth.....

The body has a specific immune response called inflammation
Inflammation occurs when tissues are injured by bacteria, trauma, toxins, heat, or any other cause.

The damaged tissue releases chemicals . These chemicals cause blood vessels to leak fluid into the tissues, causing redness, pain, swelling, and heat. Inflammation is the bodies attempt to dispose of pathogens or foreign bodies at the site of injury, to prevent their spread to other tissues and the rest of the body.

Symptoms will now be present in the body due to inflammation. Causing mild fever and general malaise .

When the chemicals are released into the blood stream it stimulates the bodies B cells and T cells to fight disease and help provide immunity in the future.

This is why you should not reach for the calpol everytime ......you are blocking the childs immune response and suppressing the immune system. Making becoming immune to disease , very hard for the body...hence endless runny noses, ear ache, sore throats, coughs....you end up using more and more medicines ...suppressing and suppressing...and the drug companies get richer and richer.

It is fine to use calpol after you have given the body at least 24hrs to mount an attack on the pathogen (disease agent)....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back