BABY CARRIERS

nori

Reaction score
hello mums,

well ive had to put ollie in a carrier as its the only way i get anything done! he falls asleep within minutes which is great. he loves it but i hate it! i have the chicco one and it pretty much hangs off my neck and my neck really hurts. why the didnt make it with a stap round your middle i dont know!

Do they all hurt like this? i dont wanna spend lots of money on another if its gonna be the same.

Thanks,

Claire x

You might want to look into alternative carriers tbh. I started out with a freedom ring sling and that was great, simple and easy to use...then lil miss got a bit big for it so I brought a wrap from Moby. That was lovely but its a pain to get lil miss (whos very wriggly) onto my back on my own :roll: And she like to lean back and fidget so the wrap, although is completely pain free... I started getting back pains carrying her on the front.

I had a meitai that I made when lil miss was smaller, and thats dead easy to pop her on my back but shes sort of out grown it and the straps aren't long enough to do the lexi twist... So as DH treated himself to something nice this Xmas I've done the same and got Maria1979 to make me one of her gorgeous meitais...from www.simplymeitai.co.uk. I got to pick out my material from ebay, she got it for me and I asked for a couple of extra bits and pieces which she was more than happy to do for me... so my completely own, custom made meitai. :D I'm so happy and will be wearing lil miss all the time again once it arrives... :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Squiglet said:
You might want to look into alternative carriers tbh. I started out with a freedom ring sling and that was great, simple and easy to use...then lil miss got a bit big for it

how big is too big?

oli would still be small enough for a ring sling, but (depending on how quickly he grows) it won't last that long - until he gets older and you can use it for hip carries, which is what i do (connor hated the cradle hold when he was little) - its great for popping out to the corner shop.

i can second squig's recommendation for maria's mei tai's though - i got my custom made one for christmas and its awesome :dance: :dance: note to self to post pics...

i wouldn't bother with structured carriers; i used a baby bjorn at the start until i got a bit addicted to slinging... then i converted!! i started using a stretch wrap (courtesy of maria too, LOL) and i now have 2 mei tais, along with my ring sling for hip carries. the mei tais and wraps are a much better, and much easier, way of carrying than anything else i've used :) i'm after a woven wrap next (maria???? LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: )

:D I made a mei tai from cord and its soooo comfy!!! I think the weight somehow sits around your waist rather than off your shoulders. The one Maria makes on her site are gorgeous!!! I did have a pouch sling and although it suited Ivy for a when she was little she got too big to be cradled in it and was getting uncomfy and I don't think she enjoyed the sitting up hold. She likes to sleep in her slings! deffo recommend a meitai!!!

nori said:
Squiglet said:
You might want to look into alternative carriers tbh. I started out with a freedom ring sling and that was great, simple and easy to use...then lil miss got a bit big for it

how big is too big?

Its more that she got too heavy for it for long distances and I have quite bad neck and shoulder problems, and I always used it on one shoulder so eventually that began to hurt..... I'd say when she was around 8 months. But I still use it now, if I need to pop out quickly... I find her too heavy to carry in my arms now.. so its still gets good use..

My meitai, lil miss has grown out of it because again she leans back and the straps weren't made long enough to do the lexi twist which means shes less likely to lean back in it. Physically its still ok in size...

But Maria's going to change all that.. :D

I have a pouch type and Lola-Mae loves it! The minute I put her in shes asleep!
Im getting a mai tei off Maria at the end of this month and can not wait!! :cheer: :cheer: Im also going to look into freedom ring slings after Squiglet mentioned them on one of my threads!! :D

Squiglet said:
You might want to look into alternative carriers tbh. I started out with a freedom ring sling and that was great, simple and easy to use...then lil miss got a bit big for it so I brought a wrap from Moby. That was lovely but its a pain to get lil miss (whos very wriggly) onto my back on my own :roll: And she like to lean back and fidget so the wrap, although is completely pain free... I started getting back pains carrying her on the front.

I had a meitai that I made when lil miss was smaller, and thats dead easy to pop her on my back but shes sort of out grown it and the straps aren't long enough to do the lexi twist... So as DH treated himself to something nice this Xmas I've done the same and got Maria1979 to make me one of her gorgeous meitais...from http://www.simplymeitai.co.uk. I got to pick out my material from ebay, she got it for me and I asked for a couple of extra bits and pieces which she was more than happy to do for me... so my completely own, custom made meitai. :D I'm so happy and will be wearing lil miss all the time again once it arrives... :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

The pictures of how to put them on is brilliant but I can't seem to scroll down on it. Am I being thick?

I've been thinking about getting a sling or something to carry Molly around in, especially for around the house as she doesn't seem to like to be put down. These look wonderful :)

xmcnickyx said:
The pictures of how to put them on is brilliant but I can't seem to scroll down on it. Am I being thick?

I've been thinking about getting a sling or something to carry Molly around in, especially for around the house as she doesn't seem to like to be put down. These look wonderful :)

I cant scroll down either. I think i want one of these.. are they ok for newborns then?

Hello :wave: hmmm theres a glitch at the moment with internet explorer and my website :? and its being fixed at the moment! Do you have mozilla firefox or another browser you could look at it with? there is a scroll bar i promise :hug:
I have some fabrics on the coming soon page, and have many many more.
If your interested give me a pm and we can go from there. Im about to place an order to import some from the U.S soperfect timing :)

Maria xx

psif you look at the babywearing instructions, you can see the newborn hold at the bottom xxxx

Managed to look at the instructions via Firefox, thanks!

Will deffo think about getting one! I really love having Molly with me but obviously, can't do everything one handed. Might order one after pay day :)

Hi. I made a babywearing info thread with all the different types in
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=98827

I would see if there is a slingmeet near you, then you could go along and try different types without having to fork out before trying. This way you can find what type suits you etc. I like my wraps and MT's but other people swear by ring slings etc

http://www.slingmeet.co.uk/

beanie said:

I would see if there is a slingmeet near you, then you could go along and try different types without having to fork out before trying. This way you can find what type suits you etc. I like my wraps and MT's but other people swear by ring slings etc

Theres a meet in Liverpool this Friday, hurrah! Will deffo try and get along to it. Thanks :)

xmcnickyx said:
beanie said:

Theres a meet in Liverpool this Friday, hurrah! Will deffo try and get along to it. Thanks :)

yay, have a great time - though I am not responsible for any resultant addictions to slings that may occur as a result ;)

The meet in Reading has just gone (damn it) I think i may just opt for the maitei as i've not heard anyone say anythig bad about them. Anything to save my neck and back! Ollie is currently in his carrier on my knee as we speak! As long as he can have some freedom with his arms as he hates being swaddled etc..

I will PM you Maria..

Claire x

keep an eye on the slingmeet website anyway - i go to my local one and its fab :) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back