Tests for Downs syndrome

Blossom

Reaction score
I declined the tesst for Downs syndrome because I was afraid of getting a high risk result and decided that ignorance is bliss. In my last pregnancy I had some blood tests which showed abnormally low folate levels. I spent two weeks waiting for further tests results (which turned out thankfully okay), but those two weeks were the most stressful I have ever been through in my life. This time Ive decided not to bother with these sort of tests because it's just too stressful.

Anyone else turn them down?

Does anyone know if the anomaly scan also screens for downs?

i think that they can look at the feet and bone structure in the face (nose) to see if the baby has downs..

I turned down the triple test - it's just goes on probablilities so I, like you, decided that it would just mess with my head too much.
They can spot some of the 'signs' of Down's Syndrome on the anomoly scan.

The only definitive proof either way is amniocentisis (sp) or tests after the baby is born. I couldn't go through with an amnio and so DH and I decided that we wouldn't be able to terminate if we got a "negative" result, so having tests that just freak you out isn't right for us
(PS not saying that it's not right for others though)

We declined because the results woldnt have made any difference to us and like you would have been extra stress for us.

Although most people think that the scans and tests are just there to identify Downs Syndrome, they actually show up a whole host of genetic abnormalities. The scans show up abnormalities regardless of whether you have the blood tests... Most genetic disabilities have a whole host of problems that can easily be identified on a scan and do not require the blood tests.

I had the blood test done as I was told they needed to be done to go hand in hand with the nucal fold scan... but I immediately turned down the amnio which I was told I should have due to my family history and risk factors.

I don't feel worried. The only thing I really wanted to make sure of is that my child didn't have Edwards Syndrome which is what my sister died of. I would have had a termination as to spare my daughter going through what I went through. But babies with severe genetic disabilities, don't move like ordinary babies, dont gain weight properly, have kidney/heart/lung problems.. all of which are visible on an ultrasound.

Down's isn't that serious, and in the cases where the genetic malformations are not that severe you can have babies born with mild forms of Downs without knowing... but having siblings with the condition and with quite serious cases of it, then I know I can easily handle that. :D

Besides there are many other things that can go wrong with your child which don't show up on the tests or the ultrasounds, like autisim or what my daughter has, so its no guarantee that you will have a perfect child, its just nice to get a heads up on these things...

having a kid is stressful enough... and if you wouldn't have a termination anyway regardless of the results of the tests... why bother putting yourself through it if you don't see it's necessary. :D

We opted out too. After hearing the risks and chances etc we though it was best not to.

I was going to have it done, but then again i thought if i was high risk i couldnt have the other test they do as there a chance of miscarriage and i dont want to go through a miscarriage again and whats the point? it cant tell u for sure

We didnt bother, it wouldnt have made any difference.

I think that what swayed it for us was that the testing was only 75% accurate (or 85% with the scan which would have cost us £180) and told you if you were high or low risk which doesn't really mean anything. The amnio had a 1 in 100 chance of miscarrying I think and even if you found out that baby had downs, it could be very very mild or very severe.

We didn't have the test either as we decided that we wouldn't have an amnio, and therefore would just spend 28 weeks worrying if we came back as high risk. I know of 3 people who were identified as high risk from the nuchal test and then had the amnio which said they were at minimal risk so i am not convinced it is that accurate anyway.

I know what you mean about the stress the triple tests causes.

Mine came back with a high risk result (1:35 chance) for Down's syndrome. I'm perfectly healthy, have no history of any chromosomal problems, am only 31 and my risk for age was only 1:750!

I opted to have the amniocentesis as I wanted to know for sure. The amnio was fine. It's not as bad as people make out and the chances of miscarriage these days are far less than 1%.

It was the most agonising two weeks of my life but thankfully my baby was clear for all chromosomal abnormalities.

I can understand people not wanting to go through with the test, it is a very personal decision. I would still do it again next time though. I would rather know.

We had the test as we wanted to be prepared of any problems that our baby may have had. Our results came back as high risk for spina bifida, we had a detailed scan and given the all clear. Although it wa a very stressful and traumatic time, I would still have the triple test with any other pregnancies. We just felt it was better for us to have all the facts.

i opted out because it wouldnt of made a difference do me, i asked the midwife what the detection rate for pickin up spina bifida and downs in the anomaly scan and its 90% for spina bifida and 75% for downs, they check if there are any soft markers apparently and if u have 2 or more u are higher risk (doesnt mean you have it) but she didnt find any soft markers with mine so i hope that measn everythin is ok xx

I had the nuchal fold test - just as part of the first scan as I'm 36. I declined the blood test for Spina Bifida and Down's though.

TBH, it wouldn't make any difference because we're having the baby unless they found something on the anomoly scan which showed that the child couldn't live and would only suffer. Even a +'ve Down's result that was correct wouldn't mean that was the case so what would be the point for us.

I think it is a very personal decision and I reckon it's good that testing is available for those who need it and would base decisions on it.

i also have declined tests for the same reason as u. with my 1st child tests results were low risk he has severe learning difficulties adhd and autism. tests results for my daughter came back high risk yet she is very bright with her i refused further tests due to higher risks of m/c with tests.
with my youngest i did not have tests as i did not want a stressfull pregnancy and if u are not going to have amino then no point as these are only tests that will prove either way.

even with a low risk result u could still have a baby with downs. the bounty book has the % of babies born with high and low risk results.
i also believe that if something was seriously wrong a scan would pick up something anyway.

marie x
17+6

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back