Athsma Inhaler - silly Q alert??

BroodyBean

Reaction score
I have a possible daft question, but wanted to put my mind at ease,...
I am an athsmatic & use a blue reliever inhaler regularly. The more i read up on ttc and all the reports saying dont take this & careful with your medication etc, i suddenly thought bugger what if taking my puffer can do damage or cause a problem!!! :doh: :? But then again millions of women have athsma (worse than me & on more medication for it) & you cant just not take it...we need it!!
I've had a little look on the net but didnt really find anything, anyone in the same boat or know mucha bout this please?
xxxx

Hi ya,

I also have asthma and take the brown and blue inhalers, ive never heard that they make any difference at all!!

then again ive never really looked into it :?

I'm asthmatic and did quite a bit of looking in to this question, and also asked my doctor for his thoughts on the matter.

The verdict was if you really need to use it then use it. However I must confess that having been asthmatic since a child I use the inhaler slightly more habitually than I should. I was advised to monitor my usage as such.

I think in America Salbutamol is classed as a grade B drug during pregnancy. This means it has been tested on animals (cats in case you were wondering) and has been proven not to cause any problems with pregnancy, however it is not conclusively proven that this is the same in humans (basically no one has ever run a controlled trial on pregnant asthmatic women.... which to me would indicate there is probably little need to !)

My doctor said that the bottom line is any treatment that needs to be given to you to control your asthma as a result of *not* using the inhaler in the first place will likely be more damaging than the inhaler itself.

So if you need it. Use it.

HTH.

ETA My asthma is very much aggravated by pollens and animal hair. I was told that I should avoid antihistamine tablets, which may have the effect of making my asthma worse - but the ventolin was still a safer option than the antihistamines.

ETAA - I am sure that I read somewhere it is really common for Asthma to get worse in the first trimester.

No more edits. I promise.

Oh thank you so much guys, thats put my mind at ease...i'm a born worrier i think!! :)

Mine is alot worse by animal hair & foggy misty weather, sometimes i just need it so i'm so relieved there shouldnt be a problem using it!! :D

Also, i read somewhere that your lungs have to workharder during the 1st trimester too.....have to have inhalers at the ready!!! :)
xx

I took ventolin through my pregnancy, and was told it was no problem - in fact I ended up in hospital with severe breathing problems after getting a chest infection when I was 36 weeks and was given 7 nebulisers to help me breathe......thats a lot of salbutamol in one go and was told it would have no effect on the baby taken via the nebuliser, but they could not administer anything to help through a vein!!

Good luck TTC :hug:

EllieBelle you gave birth!! congratulations :hug: your little boy looks so cute!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back