• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

As head engages would bump size decrease?

MicheLou

Reaction score
Bump is now 2/5 engaged (does any one know if that means its 2/5 'down there' or 3/5 engaged?.. never can get head round notes)

This doesn't really matter as I'm having an elective section anyway but i'm just curious. As the head moves into position will it decrease bump size? I have been = my weeks all through pregnancy and yesterday I measured a cm smaller than my weeks. I just wondered if this was due to baby's head disappearing down.

Might be? I had mw yesterday and got measured and was spot on, I had been measuring 2 weeks ahead throughout :think: .

Baby is 2/5 engaged and has been for a few weeks. I don't look any smaller though.

It can make you slightly smaller but usually it just changes the shape of your bump.

Towards the end of my pregnancy I measured behind after being spot on previously, M/W said it was because of baby being engaged.

Re: your query about engagement 5ths, I found the following in my Preggo book......not that it actually clarifies anything!!! :rotfl:

"Your midwife will measure how far your baby’s head is in the pelvis by dividing the head into fifths. Five-fifths into the pelvis means all the head has descended, where as three-fifths engaged would mean that three-fifths of the head is in the pelvis. The drawback with this method is that some midwives measure in reverse, for example; three-fifths engaged means that three-fifths of the head is still not in the pelvis. Confused? That makes two of us! Ask your midwife which method she uses.

On your notes ENG stands for engaged whereas N/ENG is not engaged. Once your baby has engaged you should feel a relief from the discomfort you have been feeling such as heartburn and breathlessness, as it is not as squashed up there anymore.. hurray!"

Cleo100 said:
Re: your query about engagement 5ths, I found the following in my Preggo book......not that it actually clarifies anything!!! :rotfl:

"Your midwife will measure how far your baby’s head is in the pelvis by dividing the head into fifths. Five-fifths into the pelvis means all the head has descended, where as three-fifths engaged would mean that three-fifths of the head is in the pelvis. The drawback with this method is that some midwives measure in reverse, for example; three-fifths engaged means that three-fifths of the head is still not in the pelvis. Confused? That makes two of us! Ask your midwife which method she uses.

On your notes ENG stands for engaged whereas N/ENG is not engaged. Once your baby has engaged you should feel a relief from the discomfort you have been feeling such as heartburn and breathlessness, as it is not as squashed up there anymore.. hurray!"

My baby was measured today and i was told i am 3/5 engaged, and my bump measures 36 weeks, to which she told me NOT to worry as my baby is Really low down now which makes bump size smaller with the measurments.
BUT I still have the terrible heartburn ( in fact its worse ) and baby is still so squished i'm constantly out of breath!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back