Arthritis and pregnancy

leannesxb

Reaction score
Hi everyone I know this may be a long shot but I have a kind of arthritis. When I found out I was pregnant the doc stopped all my pain relief and said I could only have paracetomol. After two years of taking co-codomals and anti -inflammatories this has sent my body into a bit of a spin. I have got up this morning with very swollen joints and been up all night in pain. Has anyone gone through a pregnancy with arthritis? If so how did you cope?

I have RA along with Lupus and Raynauds, I stopped all my meds in January after a MMC.

The heat affects my joints badly so I have been quite puffy and sore recently but my RA nurse has offered steroid injections if I need them which will not affect baby. I'm being brave though!!

I found swimming has relieved some pain along with warm showers and Arnica gel on my joints alongside pleanty of rest.

Thank you I wasn't sure if anyone would reply. I have Psoriatic Arthritis and Raynauds. I wasn't sure if you can take steriods or have the injections. I may struggle through till friday as I have my first midwife appointment so I can discuss it with her. Is Arnica gel like a anti inflammatory type gel eg Ibuleve etc? Do you know if you can use things like Ibuleve etc? Sorry for all the questions but I am so pleased there is someone out there who replied. lol

Arnica is a natural product, I buy mine from QVC it's the SBC one as this one doesn't inflame my skin!!

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.217714.cm_scid.KeywordSearch

I would however speak to you doctor or midwife before using it. There is no extensive research that suggests that it is harmnful to use Arnica gels whilst pregnant, although you may be advised not to. I know that orally taken Arnica is not recommended.

I thoroughly discussed it with my RA consultant and midwife and they were suportive of my use of it.

HTH

I have osteoarthirits - but thankfully it has settled down at the moment - although im dreading the winter.

It was really bad when I was a teenager - and I used to take something called Rhus Tox - the herbal remedy from poison ivy). Not 100% sure if you're allowed it during pregnancy - but a quick google showed it as having been recommended as a pregnancy alternative to drugs for fibromyalgia.

xxx

Thanks will take a list of things to ask my midwife on friday. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back