Argggghhhh...daytime naps...any advice???

sarah2807

Reaction score
Hi girls...I've posted a thread somrthing similar to this a few months ago but feel like I'm not getting anywhere!! :(

My Lo has always been a poor daytime sleeper, as a newborn she wouldn't be put down and nearly always slept on me or my OH, as she got older she wouldn't even do that...she will nap fine in the car or the pram but at home it's really hard work :( To make it worse she is a cap napper and sleep for about 25 mins every 2 hours....honestly she is like a clock and really needs another nap almost exactly 2 hours from the beginning of last one.
This would be fine if she'd go to sleep but she screams like mad when we''re at home.

When she stopped falling asleep on our shoulders like newborns do I used to have to rock her to sleep with her dummy in and have her sleep on my knee, but I realise this isn't a long term soloution so stopped doing that...so bascially if we're at home I put her down when she shows signs of being tired and she screams!! I keep going back to her and putting her dummy in and she'll go to sleep in the end but it takes a while...she's definately tired as she lays screaming rubbing her eyes. This week has been worse cos she's got a cold so is taking up to 1 hour! :( I know some of you are going to think I'm an awful mum for letting my baby cry for 1 hour but I don't know whay to do.
My only other option is to rock her to sleep and have her on my knee or make sure I'm out on the move with her.

I really want to train her to get to sleep on her own and I don't think avoiding the situation is going to help things in the long run.

At night time she is pratty good....doesn't have a dummy and wakes to be fed.

Anyone been through this and know what i can do...all advice appreciated cos I really hate hearing her cry. :cry:

Have you tried some white noise at home when she is tired? I wouldnt worry too much babies work stuff out for themselves eventually might not be anytime soon but she will one day. Id be inclined to use what ever methods it takes to make her go to sleep happily but thats just me.. :) 5 months is still ever so young her naps are likely to change again in a couple months .. she might not nap at all mehe. Self soothing is something they can work out themselves like I say eventually some sooner than others, unless it bothers you of course and you want that quicker then there are techniques similar to what you are using but have no advice of those and am personally not fond of them but they work for some. Theres no rush hun ..chill you wont be "making a rod for your own back" by rocking her etc. xx

I think some babies need a good cry... I've known other people whos kids are the same... lil miss often needs a good scream before she settles... Atm shes refusing to go to sleep either carried or booby fed unless she has had a good 20/30 minute scream beforehand. Its very tiring... What we do now is let her have a good scream on the floor at nap time for 10 minutes, pick her up, booby her, she'll mess around, I'll put her down on the floor with her toys for 15/20 minutes where she will cry... pick her up...booby her and she will drop off instantly...

At night, I booby her in a dark room... she messes around so I pop her in her cot, keeping my hands on her, where she will cry and kick me and try to bite me... she will scream constantly for around 20/30 minutes where I will pick her up, pop her on the boob and she passes out.

I don't know what it is atm.. But if I try to just booby or cuddle or walk around, she messes around and fusses and grumbles... its only when we let her have a good scream that she will actually go to sleep with the usual methods. imo opinion, shes not alone when this happens, we are still comforting her but she needs to release this tension in order to relax and get some sleep.

Eva makes a tremendous fuss and grumble before her naps too even when her eyes are on stalks she is so tired, she doesnt scream but moans and shouts and fusses and thrashes about, I end up offering her cuddles, dummy, boob,sleepy cloth, singing, lullaby etc, I think its true that they sometimes need to get it all out out in order to relax :roll:

maybe it feels good to yell before sleeping? I might try it myself later..... :D

I have stopped stressing about proper naps, if we are at home she goes in her cot otherwise its in the car or pram wherever we are, she seems to find it easier to get to sleep on the move and I wouldnt want to be in such a rigid routine that the slightest change upsets her. I think as long as she gets the opportunity to sleep somewhere when she needs to she will be OK. :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back