Anyone with or had dogs/puppies?!?! (Head gland disease) Please help

eldraW

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wondering if any of you who have have a dog/puppy or anyone who knows Anything about 'Head gland disease' can help.

We bought an absolutley gorgeous 8 week old (9 week old today) Border Collie pup on friday. We picked him up from the mans house where we got him from and as we were leaving his house when we got in the car i noticed a little lump kind of thing on his lower eyelid, we thought that there was a good chance it could of just been an eye infection or an infected tear duct or something. I asked my mam to take a look at it and she thought exactly the same.

Anyway..... Yesterday we noticed that his opposite eye wasnt opening as much as it should be and that his upper eyelid looked swolling, I thought with how clumsy some puppies are that he may of just knocked his eye or something.
We also had him booked in for his first vaccination yesterday so i explained everything to the vet and she done a full examintaion of him such as temperature and what not after doin this she said 'I am sorry but i am not going to be able to do any vaccinations today as your puppy has 'Head gland disease' '. Me and my fiance both looked at each other in shock as we had no idea what it was. The vet asked me if he was eating and swallowing ok and i said yes because he had been and she was rather suprised that he had been as his glands are really swolling, The vet let me feel his glands and i could not believe the size of them. She then went on to show us little lumps along the bottom of his jaw line/lips and also some around his nose.
We asked if this was common in dogs and she said 'No its not common at all.' She also said that she never tells people to Google things but in our case she was highly advising that we did google so that we knew the extent that this could go to. It is also meant to be very painful for the dog. She has put him on a course of anti-biotics for a week and gave him some eyedrops, we give both to him twice a day. He has to go back to vets next tuesday to see how he has got on with anti-biotics and to possibly discuss the next actions as the next step depending on his progress is steroids. We are hoping and praying that by then things will be looking up a bit for him.
The disease that he has been diagnosed with has many different names such as 'Juvenile Pyoderma' and 'Puppy Strangles'. He should eventually out grow it as like one of the names for it say its 'Juvenile' but we are unsure as of yet how long he will have this conditiom for.

We woke up this morning and checked his eyes to notice that they were getting worse, very gooey and more closed. As the day went by one of his eyes seemed to worsen by the minute and he was very bothered by it, the lump above his eye was alot bigger and eventually started to leak lots of gungey blood.. I have bathed his eyes and they look a real mess also the lumps all around his face are looking alot more prominant. He is wanting to sleep all the time and has started coughin alot due to his hugely swolling glands.

I am just wondering if anyone out there has experiences with this diagnosis and could share their experiences with us. It would be helpful to hear how long your dog/puppy had this and anything else anyone thinks we need to know would be a helping hand for us.

As you can imagine we are feeling so sad for him and we are hoping what could last for months and months will only last for the least time possible. :(

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Here is our adorable little poochy........'KODI'

You can see a slight lump on his left eye, (right if your looking at pic) This was not long after getting him.
0a272536.jpg

f36f55c0.jpg

Amy and Anthony. Xxx

Last edited:
Didnt want to read and run hunny but hes ADORABLE. Ive had different breeds of dog all my life along with my family too but Ive never heard of this sorry :( Hope he gets sorted out x

Hey there.

Thanks for for the reply. He sure is ADORABLE lol. I am so worried about him and i just hope he gets better real soon..!

It is meant to be an absolutley awful disorder for the puppy to go through and also very painful.

xx

how awful to have your puppy feel so horrid - I hope it clears up quickly, did you get back in touch with the breeder?
I would be asking for my vet fees to at least be paid for after buying a puppy with a condition,

Hey.

Thanks for the reply. We have text the guy we got him off but we havent heard anything back from him..I very much doubt he will pay any vets bills which is unfortunate as it is costing us a fortune..!

I so hope he gets better very soon x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back