Anyone know anything about GBS?

katiejane

Reaction score
Hello,

I've received a letter from the hospital informing me that a swab was taken from me and it has shown that I 'carry' Group B Streptococcus (GBS). It doesn't say anything about needing any treatment or needing to get baby William tested, just says it will need to be mentioned in future pregnancys. I'm now very confused, I have been on two different antibiotics for an infection in my tear / stitches and also i developed an infection in the womb lining so I don't know if its all related or just one other thing. Any advise would be much appreciated xx

I dont know anything about this sorry, but I think Rosies Mummy has the same thing and knows stuff on it :)

Hope that helps. x

Hi there - Yes I have tested postive for GBS too, it means that you will have to have IV anitibiotics - usually Penicillin during labour. There is a brilliant website which will answer all your questions:

http://www.gbss.org.uk/

I hope this helps :)

I carry it too! When I was in labour with katie i had to have iv antibiotics just incase it passed on, with ella i simply didn't have time but she was observed and there was no sign of it having passed! Basically it's a bacteria that a vast number of people carry but it fluctuates, so you could test positive for it one week and then the next it just wouldn't be there! As far as I'm aware you only need antibiotics if it's detected as a UTI! the antibiotics you're on anywy should be enough to get rid of it tho!

It was detected after delivery but they said I'd need antibiotics next time. William seems ok, I spoke to the hospital and they weren't concerned about him having it as seems very healthy, feeding well and is almost two weeks old. Thanks for the info ladies, I hope all goes well rosies mummy during your delivery. I doubt they'd have remebered or bothered to give me the antibiotics if it had been detected before labour anyway. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back