Anyone got to be induced?

Jo

Reaction score
hi all, i've been told i am going to have to be induced at 38weeks(about 3 week) and i was wondering if any one has or has got be induced as i don't really know what this is going to involve and am getting quite nervous about it.
Have got an ante- natal tomorrow have to go to hospital twice a week because of my O.C so am gonna ask my m.w, but would like to hear ither people experiences.

Thanks Jo x

Hi Jo

Well I wouldnt know what it wasnt like to be induced as I was induced with all of mine. (5 births!) and this time will be the same as I have requested an epidural and will have to come off my heparin injections the day before so it has to be all organised.

Ill be honest with you, I like the fact that you can plan, and you know when its going to happen. Unlike a friend who has just gone 2 weeks overdue and spent 3 days in hospital giving birth.

Bearing in mind its been 11 years since my last birth, Im not 100% sure if things have changed. But happened with me was I went in the night before where they give me sweep and a pessory thing that will hopefully start you off. Then in the morning they hook you up to a drip where you are given a drug that speeds the contractions up.

Then they see how you go..........think they can give you more pessorys if things are moving as fast.

Hope this helps a little bit but sure someone will update you on the latest ways of doing things...(will be interested myself!)

Ragna xxxx

Thanks Ragna, just got give you a round of applause though 6th pregnancy!!! and 11 years between!!! wow i'm humbled, if i find out anything new i will let you know

I was induced, I didn't like it at all.
I reacted to the pessary and felt like my bits were burning!
However, it's extremely rare to have any sort of reaction, so I was told.

I went in at 8am, sat around being monitored for a bit, then had the pessary. Then more monitoring, then later on the drip.
The one thing I remember was the midwives saying I was contracting loads and I would have my baby really soon, and it was 24 hours later when I finally had him... They shouldn't tell you stuff like that!
They do say induced births take longer, so be prepared!

My advice would be to take a good book as it's lots of waiting around, and also, stay mobile as much as possible, go for walks around the hospital, and have little snacks even if you don't feel hungry... I didn't feel like eating anything till it was too late and I was told I couldn't eat anything til after the birth and I was STARVING

Hiya! I am having a sweep tomorrow as I am 8 days over due and if that doesn't do anything then I will be induced at the weekend. Heard labour can be a bit more intense but guess it's different for everyone. Just think at least you'll get to meet the baby finally :D Good luck hun!!

good tips thanks Urchin, you see the thing bothering me most is i wanted to be much more active this time around but because i am being closley watched i've got this feeling am gonna be strapped to a moniter the whole time and i find th ethought of that really upsetting as i wanted to be in more control as i a m now older and wiser 7 years on from my first.

My OH doesnt understand what i mean by being in control and when i try to explain i end up crying! he said to me " well you will bw in control because you control when to push"!! LOL
Typical man eh girls?

Hi Jo,
I have just been given all the info on inductions from my midwife. I have written a load about the process on my pregnancy diary in the 'Pregnancy Buddies' section on the forum, its this weeks entry if you want to know the full process and what it all involves. Unfortunatly if you go to the third stage of an induction which is the syntocinon drip you will have to be attached to an electronic fetal heart monitor and your ability to move around will be limited. It will not be possible for you to have a bath or move from room to room. Also if you get to the drip stage you are more likly to require an epidural, as the drug causes your uterus to contract and unlike normal contractions where they last 60-90 seconds, then you have a brether, the contraction is more continuous.
If you ask your midwife they should ab able to give you a leaflet detailing exactly what happens if you want to know more.

I was 80% effaced and 1cm dilated the night I went in to be induced. I was 11 days past my due date.

Wed. 11:00pm - Cervidil was placed to ripen my cervix.
Thu. 11:00am - Cervidil was removed and I was started on Pitocin. I was 2cm dilated.
Fri. 10:30am - was 3cm dilated and I received my epidural(Heaven!).
Fri. 11:30am - Midwife broke my water.
Fri. 3:00pm - Started to push
Fri. 3:52pm - Ava was born!

Start of Induction to Delivery - around 41 hours.

At one point they stopped the Pitocin drip(due to fetal heartrate decelerations), until my midwife could come in and see me. So they had to start the Pitocin all over again at the low dosage and continued to increase it every 30min. So that delayed things a bit.

No induction is the same....My uncle's girlfriend went in on a Sunday night, had her baby Monday afternoon, and was released the following afternoon.

For my first pregnancy i was induced. Here is the progress.

7th Jan 2004 - 7.00 pm - Cervidil was placed to ripen my cervix.
8th Jan 2004 - 12.00am - Contractions started
8th Jan 2004 - 2.00 am - Sedation was given (as the nurse did not think that contraction would have started

8th Jan 2004 - 5.00 am - Dialated 5cms (still on sedation)
The nurse called the doctor to arrange for epidural
8th Jan 2004 - 6.30 am - Doctor came and found out 10 cms dialated
8th Jan 2005 - 6.40 am - Started pushing
8th Jan 2005 - 7.12 am - My son was born weighing 6 pounds 11 ozs

As Amber said, every pregnancy and every induction is different.

Thanks a lot Amber Nicole and Vijgan, its nice to know what the procedure is like, i have an hospital appointment this afternoon and am going to try and get them to give me a date and a bit more info.
Its been hard this past few weeks to find anything out as i havent seenthe same consultant twice as mine has been on holiday, i know this might sound really awful but it will be nice to talk to someone i can understand :?
Anyway i'll let you know how i get on ladies as they have said they wont let me get past 38 weeks so it should be a bout 2weeks from today (thats 3 days away from daughters B-day!!!!)

hi ladies, The hospital gave me my induction date- 8th Oct day before my little girls birthday!!!

Gave me loads of info on procedure, much same as everyone had told me so at least i was prepared for it thank you.

Have been getting little twinges since yesterday so am thinking maybe i'll takle sorting out my bedroom and doing some Kim and Aggie style cleaning and see what happens, i really don't want to be in for my daughters birthday, never mind give birth on that day, can you imagine 2 birthdays on same day with 7 years differance!!!! :roll:

Oh my! They are going to have close birthdays if not the same! :shock:

Good luck with the induction, I hope it goes really smoothly and quick for you!

im also booked in for an induction :cry: this wednesday.. got for 4 more days to wait....ive still not decided if im going ahead with it.... will decide on tuesday.. guess im hoping baby will make an appearance by then. my mum had the drip when she was in labour and labour was over in 6 hours... so that does give me some hope... i just hate hospitals... but im allowed to leave straight after having the baby and return to the birthing centre which is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back