Anyone any experience with croup?

Kimbo

Reaction score
Leah has had a really bad cough the last few days... I took her to the doctors not yesterday, the day before and she said it was croup.
She said theres nothing you can really do.
She was ok yesterday but today it seems to have gotten a little worse and shes been coughing all day.
Shes asleep now but shes even coughing a lot in her sleep.
I've put a bowl of boiling water on the radiator hoping it will make the air moist will this help and is there anything else i can do?

Dans had croup a few times. The first time was quite bad and he ended up spending the night in hopsital because he was having trouble breathing. He was given steriods which your Dr can also give you in extreme cases.

But the few times he's had it since its cleared up fairly quickly.
I found its worse at night but what really helped was taking him out for a drive with the window slightly open. The paediatrcian told us the cold night air really helps to clear the lungs. We also tried filling the bathroom with hot steam but tbh it didn't really do much.

I hope she feels better soon hun :hug: :hug: :hug:

thanks.. my mums got a humidifier so gonna give that a go too

forgot to say... she doesn't have a temp

my brother used to suffer with this when he was little.

I wouldn't recommend it, but my nan used to put him in his buggy and leave him out the front porch in the air for a while to help. oh and the good old steamy room.

When i speak to my mum later, & if i remember, i will ask her what else used to help him :think:

aww, poor Leah :hug: Beth had croup when she was tiny. I crapped myself when i heard the horrible noise she was making when she coughed and rushed her straight round the docs. He just said theres nowt they can do and reccomended i take her in the kitchen and put the kettle on and maybe heat some water in a couple of saucpans too to get nice and steamy. I honestly can't remember if it maed much difference though :think: (im so helpful, lol, it was about 5 years ago though!)
Hope she gets better soon xx

Aww poor thing :hug: I had this very bad as a child and there isnt a lot you can do except lots of TLC and hugs,keepaclose eye though.
You could put the shower/bath on in the bathroom with doors and windows closed :hug: :hug:

thanks everyone.
well last night was the worst night so far. She woke at 12am coughing and she was coughing so hard that she made herself sick :( I had to change her clothes then we went back to bed and she slept until 6 when she woke with another coughing fit.
I'm going to take her back to the doctors tomorrow :(

croup is horrible it is viral and infortunatly also sounds worse than what it is but like mislarue says if its really bad normally a couple doses of oral steroids or nebulized steroids sorts it out. otherwise if you struggling at home put the shower on and make the room really steamy and take leah in its meant to help, also do you have the plug in calpol decongestents? i also rub vicks on lukes chest when he has it i think all these things might help them breathe a bit easier. i hope she is better soon xx :hug:

hows she feeling now? india just got over croup and RSV, it was rough, she was on steroids as she stopped breathing a couple of times and went blue :(

take her in the bathroom and run the shower on hot. it helps a little. our Dr said it gets worse before it gets better.

Aaron had croup when he was 2. He had a temp with his though and was croaking when he breathed so he spent a night in hospital and had a steroid given to him. He was a million times better in the morning but the cough was still there for about a week. He's had it since but not as bad. It's horrible when you first hear it though cos they sound like a barking seal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back