Anybody work in retail?

DiddlePlumbs

Reaction score
Just really want to have a rant about the stupidly rude obnoxious customers that seem to be out and about at the moment! My store is currently in a "closing down sale" as we're unsure if head office can renegotiate the lease with the landlord and it's been like that since February. And the amount of customers that come in and LAUGH IN MY FACE about the fact that we might be LOOSING ARE JOBS is really beginning to PISS ME OFF! Back in March/May when I was all emotional it kept nearly reducing me to tears but now it just stresses me out and makes me so angry. And it's not just me. The rest of my colleagues have had enough now. I'm just fed up of them talking to me like I'm a piece of shit.

It's starting to get me really down. By the time I finish work I'm so wound up and stressy :(

I know it's not just me though. I know how shit retail is in general. Like, I'm currently watching Airline on Sky2 and some of customers on there are talking to the staff like they're children! This one guy is kicking off because they won't let him have his hand luggage in the overhead because it's well over the weight restrictions. And he's there shouting at them saying they're being awkward for not bending the rules for him and that it's unaceptable and it's just like DUDE, rules are there for a reason.

Argh, sorry, it just gets me so angry! I wish that guy was watching now so he could see how much of an ass he was!

Didn't want to read and run. Can't believe people are laughing at the fact you could all be loosing your jobs, thats awful! Some people really do need to be high fived.... in the face..... with a shovel. I haven't worked in retail, but did work in a call centre and used to have some really mean people on the phone, was reduced to tears many a time! Big hugs to you x

I work in a betting office and sometimes the customers are horrendous. They shout at you because they have lost, can't get their bets on in time etc. They throw furniture around. The amount of times I have been called names is stupid! I also know someone that was spat at which is disgusting! Some of the customers are really nice, it's just the occasional one that is an idiot! X

That's horrible! It's so disgraceful! When and where did people start to think that they can treat people like that?!

I work in retail. It's hard at the best of times let along what your having to deal with. Customers seem to think that because "you work in a shop" your some what below them!! Makes me cross!
Sorry no advice really just wanted have a little rant with u .
Hugs x

I work in a hotel Hun and I know how u feel , I hate the saying the customer is always right as the majority of the time it's them who is in the bloody wrong x x

I worked in retail for years. I bloody hate customers. The saying the customer is always right was clearly invented by someone who had never worked in a shop.

When peacocks was threatened with closure, I was in Que to buy something. The woman in front of me was really kicking off that she couldn't use her vouchers. The poor assistant was so professional to her, didn't rise to it. I was like, this cashier is about to be unemployed and you are having a go because you can't use your vouchers?! Bitch!

I used to be sickly sweet to angry customers. Take extra long and really wind them up. I'm sooooo sorry your prescription has been a whole ten minutes. Let me just go and speak to the manager/ pharmacist....and take the whole lot back again, while apologising to the huge Que behind the shitty customer, effectively blaming him for the Que. Used to work a treat :p

Big hugs that you might be loosing your job hun :(

Xx

It is quite fun to bitch and moan about them afterwards, it certainly helps! Before I was pregnant I used to act really over nice to bitchy mean customers and the second they walked out the door just rant to my colleagues. Since my pregnancy hormones have kicked in I tend to give it back a bit more which is quite fun. Even more so as my manager said it's fine and if she gets any complaints then she'll just say "What do you expect when you don't care that a pregnant lady is about to loose her job"

I think refunds are one of the worse things. When people come in demanding a refund that they're not entitled to (I work with bedding/curtains etc and whenever we sell any form of bedding we have to explain to the customer that bedding is non returnable once opened unless faulty for hygiene reasons and then sign the receipt to say that we've told them - to which you'd be surprised as to what people have still tried to bring back. My manager once said you could take a DNA sample off of a sheet this gentleman was trying to bring back once) and they go off on you saying that it's the law and "The Sales of Goods Act" says this etc and it's like, no, you're only entitled to a refund if your item is faulty, anything else is just a good will gesture from the company. I've had so many things thrown back in my face as they stormed out.

When peacocks was threatened with closure, I was in Que to buy something. The woman in front of me was really kicking off that she couldn't use her vouchers. The poor assistant was so professional to her, didn't rise to it. I was like, this cashier is about to be unemployed and you are having a go because you can't use your vouchers?! Bitch!

I know it's so horrible! People just don't seem to care anymore! I remember when HMV looked like they were going down and had stopped gift vouchers etc and this girl had posted on their facebook page "You know that job interview I came all the way to you for and I didn't get? Well that's karma lol" and I was just like WTF?! Me and my sister commented on it saying that you have to be a really selfish person to think that thousands of people loosing their jobs is anyway payback for the fact that you didn't get hired there. We just couldn't believe it.

And thanks for the concern guys :) I'm not overly too worried myself cause it'll be months yet I imagine (it's lease related so they're hoping to renegotiate with the landlord, it's not a company issue) and by then I'll be on maternity leave so I'll be fine but it's just my colleagues that I feel bad for :( Though my manager is kinda hoping we go so as she's hoping her redundancy money will pay for her divorce :p

I work in retail and honestly some of the crackers I've had over the years... Oh my god!! Where do some of these people come from!!!x

I'm a retail manager and believe me the times ive been sworn at, called names and threatened in the past you wouldnt believe!
it was great when I was pregnant though, people seem much less inclined to kick off with a wobbling woman with a face like thunder!
And the ones that tried it on, believe me they didn't get very far :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back