Anybody else struggling with insomnia?

Discussion in 'First Trimester' started by Rhelen91, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Rhelen91

Rhelen91 Well-Known Member

I do have a history of having bursts of insomnia that can last weeks or months at a time, but for the last fortnight I literally haven't slept. I feel absolutely knackered but can't seem to stay asleep for more than 10-20 minutes at a time, and only end up with around 2 hours of broken sleep a night. It's starting to take its toll a bit, especially with being pregnant, having a toddler to look after, and working (albiet I only work weekends in a clothes shop)

Is anyone else finding it difficult to sleep in these early stages?

2. Kholl

Kholl Well-Known Member

Oh my god yes. It's the WORST. My insomnia is SO BAD in early pregnancy- every time. And I also have 2 small kids (4 years and 16 months) to look after. I feel your pain!!!

3. Rhelen91

Rhelen91 Well-Known Member

I think I'm literally getting just enough sleep to survive at the moment. I can just about function lol. Oh what wonderful things pregnancy does to us, yet we still want to go through it time and time again :)

4. sansk

sansk Well-Known Member

Yes I have sleeping problems for years and was taking sleeping pills for it but have to stop them so I am taking 1 every 3 days until these are done it is a nightmare i have huge dark bags under my eyes lol hope this improves....

5. fairyprincess

fairyprincess Well-Known Member

Tbh I've always had on/off insomnia since about 16 so can't really blame being pregnant but I've hardly slept recently and it's so hard when you're extra tired! X

6. sammielou

sammielou Well-Known Member

I went through a phase earlier in pregnancy where the insomnia was terrible. I was exhausted, I'm not sure how i got through it. It was bad for about a month.

I'm still not sleeping right but it is not as bad as it was back then. I miss my sleep. If one more person says 'Make the most of sleeping all night now, while you can!' I may hit them.

I was told not to lie in bed trying to sleep for too long. If I can't sleep within 20 minutes, I'm to get up and do something. A crossword puzzle, read an article, light chores. Only to go back to bed when I felt sleepy, and again limit to 20 minutes. I think it helped. It certainly helped the sleepless nights pass quicker and I got less bothered by the minutes ticking by towards the alarm going off.