Any experience with labour and broken bones?

tinkerbell86

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience or ideas as to how I can make life easier as I currently have broken my ankle and cannot put any weight on it for 6 weeks.
Baby is due on Saturday (9th Oct) and i know the hospital have said i can have crutches once baby is here (which apparently will be easier along with no bump in the way) but i was wondering if anyone could help as to how to do as much as i can as obviously am not going to be able to carry baby around until my ankle is more stable.
Also any ideas as to labour and how i'm going to be able to have a normal delivery with a unstable ankle and (fingers crossed) a hard plaster cast on my right leg without doing more damage?

Sorry for the long post but i'm trying to work out how everything will work!!

I have no experience in this sorry, but wanted to say when in labour you will forget all about your ankle, i think the main problem will be if you want to walk around in early labour, will your husband be with you after the birth for a few days because he can help you by passing baby to you put its crib right beside your couch, and nappies wipes etc, if you breastfeeding the most you will have to do is get the baby out of crib from beside you, if you bottle feeding you will have to try and get a bit prepared and make a bottle up just before you think the baby will wake to be fed. I hope I have helped a little bit in giving you a few tips, i'm not saying it will be easy just saying i think it is just about doable.

god what a nighmare!! i dont have any experience but what mumofmany said is just to make life as convenient as possible for yourself x

No experience but sending you big hugs x I think the hardest thing will be if you want to get up and be mobile but you can't! x fingers crossed all goes well x maybe ask mw for some tips?

Thanks to you all for your tips!! I haven't seen my mw since i did it (i broke my ankle less than an hour after our last appointment!!) but was worried about how i would be able to position my leg while in labour without knocking out any staff in the labour ward lol!!!

I feel slightly better about it today as my full cast feels so much more secure and lighter than the back slab i had!! My OH will be off for the first 2 weeks after babies born so are trying to consider how we will manage - i am thinking dressing gown/ cardigan with pockets for moving bottles etc!!!

Ahh hun - nightmare!

What about a baby carry or sling on the front for baby, esp when OH has gone back
What about one of those market belt style bum bags for bottles etc when on crutches
or use the tommee tippee cool bags as they have velcro straps at the top for carrying, sticking, you can put hand through (asda sale £5 for two in a box).
Or I guess there is always a small rucksack option, to keep handsfree

Labour, could someone like OH support the leg, and so your not pushing against anything just air, with OH holding it?

hope you get some way of coping hun while OH is there, and then your be fine when he is back to work
Moses basket downstairs, packed lunch, drinks in flasks and camp out for thre day, then it's just the loo to worry about.

Get your mates to drop in at a set time, to help you

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back