Antidepressants and breastfeeding

Jen79

Reaction score
Has anyone here taken antidepressants and continued to breastfeed? I have been struggling for a while now with not sleeping properly, no appetite and crying a lot etc but have decided to do something about it and gone to docs. He has prescribed me mirtazapine and although its not recommended with BFing the benefit outweighs the risk or whatever. I cant help but feel a bit guilty about exposing my daughter to it though but I need to get myself straight. Getting her on a bottle has so far been unsuccessful. :(

I would try different bottles. Logan refused all bottles except the Dr browm ones. if you need the medication then you take it but don't breast feed. Your baby will thrive with a happy mummy but possibly not if exposed to these meds.

Hi Jen

If I were you I'd call the La Leche league helpline and ask them if there are any anti-depressants suitable for breastfeeding. I am sure there are some.

Their no is 0845 120 2918 . They helped me back in November when I was given strong painkillers from a hospital but they couldn't tell me if they were safe whilst breastfeeding or not.

How old is your daughter?

Lucy

Don't take any medication without making fully sure its safe whilst breastfeeding.
Phone up La Leche and make absolutely sure. Some doctors are just not clued up to the latest advice etc.
Even your midwife might help you. :hug:

and i agree whole heartedly with what lindsey has written.

Hi there, well I am taking the tablets. I spoke to my health visitor who said it should be fine so that eased my worries a bit. Have also researched on the internet (not always the best thing to do I know!) and there appears to be no risk to baby. Anyhow, despite all this I am determined to get her on a bottle as I still dont like the idea of her taking in my medication so I am only feeding morning and night. The day feeds are formula and I am stopping those as soon as she gets used to the bottle a bit better (there have been a lot of tears the last few days and its not nice). Its a shame to stop BFing mind but what can I do eh? Lucy, my girl is 12 weeks old on Sunday and weighs 12 lb 9oz so hopefully what she is receiving until I totally stop breastfeeding she can deal with. x

I meant I will stop the night and early morning breast feeds and replace them with formula too. :)

You have given her the best start in life 12 weeks of breast milk. :clap: Once you feel better on the meds then you will see that it is more important to have a happy mummy than to breast feed. Well done for getting this far and I hope that things get better for you soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back