anti inflammatories in pregnancy?

luci

Reaction score
I suffer from temporomandibular joint disfunction (tmj) and have done for about 5 years now :( I normally get an attack every 5 weeks or so, but during my pregnancy have been lucky and haven't had one (am 16+6)
I was hopeful that maybe the hormones had affected my jaw in a good way, and maybe I was finally free of it! Unfortunately, I've woken up this morning with the familiar ache in my cheek, which means by tomorrow morning, I wont be able to open my mouth :( I normally take an anti-inflammatory before it gets really bad, which sometimes stops it developing into a full blown problem. Does anyone know if they are safe during pregnancy? I don't want to take them if they're going to harm bumpy! But I also know that when my mouth is locked, I can't eat properly, lose a few lbs and generally live on soup and mash potato, which obviously isn't the best for baby!
Also, I want to be able to enjoy my xmas dinner without having to blend it first!! :(
I have the midwife tomorrow afternoon, so I could ask her, but once its properly inflammed and locked, I just have to wait it out, which normally takes about a week :(

You've got to be careful with anti inflammatories during pregnancy, they are generally not recommended.

I think you need to contact a MW or doctor today to get advice so they can tell what is safe and what is not. Hopefully they can sport something out because Xmas dinner through a straw does not sound good.

Have phoned my doctors surgery to see if they could squeeze me in, but they cant. The receptionist was actually really nice for a change, explained the situation, and she is going to put me on the list for the doctor to ring me later today :) Going to put them in my bag, as I'll be in work when he rings, so if they're ok, I can start them straight away :) Fingers crossed something works out!!

Pretty sure you can't take them. I was at docs on tues with a sore swollen foot and she just said to take paracetamol as they can't prescribe anti imflamatories whilst pregnant x

Just missed a call from the doctor :( He said he isnt sure what I need to take them for (even though I explained to the receptionist) and said that its best to take paracetamol, or co-codamel if needed. waiting for him to phone back again now to advise if there is anything I can do to reduce the swelling, as its the swelling more than the pain, as the swelling makes my mouth lock closed :(

The only antiinflamarory yu can take during pregnancy is steroids. They cna reduce the swelling. Yu need a prescriptions ofc for those. For the pain you cna get paracetamol or codeine and paracetamol. Talk to your doctor.

That sounds horrible....I was taking anti-inflammatory tabs before I got preg...I was advised by doc to stop taking them before trying for a baby last year, so this time I stopped soon as I thought I was preg x

anti inflammatories, if used alot, can cause stomach ulcers.
its better if you eat with them, but even with eating properly, the risk is still there.

im not sure if this is the reason they are not to be prescribed, but its the only thing i can think of!

That's not the reason. It can cause mc and other manyroblems including a cardiac one if used in late gestation. All antinflamatories but steroids are contraindicated in pregnancy.

Would something like an anti-inflamatory gel help - like ibugel - its supposed to be safe during pregnancy cos its not absorbed into the bloodstream. - - i dunnno if where you need it is an area you could use that on. xxx

I so feel your pain! I was diagnosed with TMJ about 2 years ago but had it for about 5/6 years, as the doctors I went to see all thought I was just making it up to get out of school when in actual fact I was in agony every month or more :(

Luckily, this winter hasnt been too bad, its usually alot worse when the weathers cold. I know paracetamol and that don't have the same effect as anti inflammatories, so have you tried a cool/heat pack. Do you have a soft diet?

I feel your pain! xx

Hi Luci....

Spotted your thread on mothercare 20% staff discount code. Do you think your friend can get hold of a current code as im looking to get a furniture set there and its costing a bit. Would really help.

Also, is there a way of doing private messages on this? I noticed your other thread on joint inflamation. I also have a rhematic problem where joints swell up and would be keen to see how you are coping and maybe share some thoughts from my dr in london

Hope that you are well xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back