Antenatal Classes

crystabell

Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering when these would usually be booked. My midwife has not mentioned them to me yet and didn't know if it is something I have to arrange myself. I would like to go to them if possible, for those who had them, how were yours booked and are they free. I did come across NCT's website but there is a charge for their classes. Any replies will be great

Thanks
Crystal xx

my midwife booked mine at 20 weeks to start when you are 30weeks

i went to parentcraft at 8 months preg! tbh i didnt learn anything i didnt already kno

i was meant start them around 36wk mark but MW got me confused with someone else though i was like 3 weeks less than i was so i missed out. have parentcraft classes with baby in jan instead

What are parentcraft classes? Are they free to attend to and do they have to be arranged by your MW? I haven't been told about any classes by MW and will be 31 weeks when I next see her and would hope not to miss out on these classes. Thanks for the replies

Crystal xx

when see MW next ask her about them.
mine are free, through surestart i think. just learn how do everything but with own baby, i get go on day trips out and that aswell.

It really depends on your area crystabell and how they work where you are - you may have antenatal or parentcraft or both - so best to ask your midwife.

My NHS classes started at 28 weeks pregnant (as far as I can remember) and we had 4 classes (first stage of labour, second stage of labour, breastfeeding and babycare) but I also did NCT classes (£120 for about 16 hours over 4 Saturdays) and these were fantastic and we made some brilliant friends who were due around the same time (and the babies are now all friends!) but you have to book these early in your pregnancy usually, as they book up so quickly.

Valentine Xxx

mine were booked about 20 weeks, as they start at 28 weeks, 4 sessions, once a week,

ive got a DAY BOOKED ( YES THERE DOING IT ALL IN ONE DAY :shock: ) (SORRY CAPS)
but i had to nag my midiwfe at my 25 weeks appointment and they soonist they could find a space is when im 36 weeks ! so at 36 weeks ive got to entail a whole day at the hossy ! not looking forward to that tbh !

i think unless u live in a dead quiet area u may have left it too late :(

My midwife put my name down for the nhs classes at my 8 week appointment. I received a letter confirming my place a week or so ago. They start at 28 weeks, and I have one a week for 4 weeks

i've only been offered the breast feeding one which i went to last week, i havent been offered any others.

We have ours on 5th and 12th Jan, 10am til 1pm at our local childrens centre which is run by our midwife :)

Thanks for all of the replies, I think I will have to speak with my midwife when I see her on Thursday. It will be a shame if I cannot get to have any, they should tell first time mums what to do about this sooner. I would have arranged them myself if I was told how or when I could book them. Ah well... :(

My MW told me nothing about any classes either, I think they are terrible, they should inform all Mums to be what's available. We chose not to attend them as we paid for Hypnobirthing classes, which I'd recommend but they can be pricey, but some offer discounts. You can also phone your local ante-natal ward and ask them , as some run 'tours' and classes in-hospital too. Very best wishes :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back