Antenatal Classes

Jacki2010

Reaction score
Hey all, I've just booked onto our Antenatal Classes beginning the end of June for 4 weeks. Just wondering who else is going to classes and what shall i expect at them? xx

id like to go to a swimming class for pregnant woman but this is my 3rd baby and i dont think we allowed to go?? x

Erm right last time I went it was over 4yrs ago!! I always remember them showing me how how big my cervix would dilate to, that was pretty scary!! Didn't think anything could get that BIG!! But think places do different things at different places!! I was glad I went to them though! X

Damn...I knew I had to ask something else at the docs today!! Darn pregnancy brain!! Think I'll just call GP surgery tomorrow and check about their antenatal. x

id like to go to a swimming class for pregnant woman but this is my 3rd baby and i dont think we allowed to go?? x

I think you can do aqua aerobics for pregnant women possibly? Have a wee look online in your area and any you find should mention info about ladies with certain medical conditions etc who can't attend,or they'll tellyou when you enquire. I'd love to go, but due to my low placenta at the moment, my local class won't allow me to attend :roll: x

Damn...I knew I had to ask something else at the docs today!! Darn pregnancy brain!! Think I'll just call GP surgery tomorrow and check about their antenatal. x

LOL my pregnancy brain is the same, i forget what i'm saying halfway through a conversation.
I only remembered as my Midwife brought it up last week at my appointment. x x

im having my first and am booked in for antenatal classes from the 6th june for 3 classes one a week! am quite looking forward to going!

Do you have to pay for antenatal classes? Might seem like a silly question, but I haven't been given any info on them by my midwife or anything

I found out about the antenatal classes quite early because I definitely want to go to the ones that are in my local town and not have to drive etc. The NCT holds classes in most place. They're not free, mine will cost £135 for a set of 5 2hour sessions which seems reasonable. You can get a discount if you're on benefits or, together with your OH, earn less than £25k.

You get in touch with the NCT via their website (www.nct.org.uk) find out where the nearest classes to you are and fill in an online form saying that you're interested in coming. They then get back to you by email and send you more info on the course you chose and a booking pack. Seemed quite straightforward to me.

I have no idea whether there are any free classes you can go to. My midwife just said that antenatal calsses are generally run by the NCT and to go on their website to have a look for what I wanted.

Last edited:
Do you have to pay for antenatal classes? Might seem like a silly question, but I haven't been given any info on them by my midwife or anything

Mine are free huni, they're NHS run at my local Childrens Centre, which is were I see my Midwife anyway. X can u not contact your local antenatal clinic and ask about them x x

They do free classes for first time parents at my local hospital. and they do a free one day course for 2nd time parents,
I found out about them from my midwife when i booked in

I've booked four, all free, one on excersise back care and posture during pregnancy, one on breast feeding and two separate ones on labour and pain relief

I've just booked onto NCT classes, which we have to pay for. My friend and my sister said that they are a good way of meeting people at the same stage as you and they both still meet up with people they met on their courses.
We are also going to go to the free classes run by the midwives as my midwife said that this was the only way we would get to have a look round the maternity wards at the hospital! Would be quite nice to see where we are meant to be going before it is panic stations LOL!

I got my letter through yesterday confirming my antenatal classes - free on NHS end of may, beginning June for 4 consecutive weeks. I also got date for tour of maternity wing at hospital !! YAY!! 2nd baby but I'll go along to met others and remind myself what happens - eek how can I forget??

aww Tracey you are so lucky
Where i live they dont offer antenatal classes to parents on child number 2 or more. We only get offered one session to go through techniques to use during labor. Its been such a big gap between my children that i think i have forgotten everything i was taught when having my first.
They also dont do tours of the maternity unit any more its all online which is a shame as i live in a different area to where i had my daughter and i have never been in the maternity unit of my hospital (i got lost going for my scan )

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back