Antenatal classes

Little bean

Reaction score
Hey ladies when do you go for your antenatal classes?? Does your midwife tell you when they are?? Thank you. Xx

Hi Little bean.

My midwife has told me nothing and after speaking to some friends, I just went about looking for classes myself. I couldnt find any info on any NHS classes, but was recommended to look at the NCT classes. You have to pay for them £160 for I think 8 classes, but I have been told they are brilliant.

I have booked myself and hubby on the ones starting in April but could have also attended the ones in May, but felt that was leaving it a bit late.

Maybe ask your midwife. My midwife hasn't even given me a contact phone number for her so I didn't bother, but it's worth a try, there might be some available on the NHS.

Good luck x x

i think they're towards the end. I went to one last time but to be honest it wasn't for me. I didn't learn anything I hadn't already read and I found they 'told' me what to do rather than explained the options I had. They also put a lot of emphasis on the pain of labour, i'm a firm believer that ignorance is bliss!!!!
It may be just my area though, other people I know felt the same, yet lots of people from other areas love the classes!

I've booked for the NCT ones, but I have a leaflet about the NHS ones so I will look at that as well, any help you can get right lol :)

The NHS ones tend to begin during your third trimester around 31 weeks. I was 30 weeks when I went to my first and they run for 5 weeks. Last one is next week :(

Wow you get 5 sessions with the NHS?? We only get one in my area, just a single 2 hour session: decided I wasn't going to get enough info or support from one session so we're also signed up to the NCT classes following recommendations from friends, although it was quite a lot of money to fork out when we're trying to save!

As they organise the sessions by area I'm hoping I'll also get to meet some nice people who will have babies the same age as ours as none of my friends in the area have children or are pregnant so I'm a little worried that I might end up a bit isolated if I don't get myself out there a bit.

Wow you get 5 sessions with the NHS?? We only get one in my area, just a single 2 hour session: decided I wasn't going to get enough info or support from one session so we're also signed up to the NCT classes following recommendations from friends, although it was quite a lot of money to fork out when we're trying to save!

As they organise the sessions by area I'm hoping I'll also get to meet some nice people who will have babies the same age as ours as none of my friends in the area have children or are pregnant so I'm a little worried that I might end up a bit isolated if I don't get myself out there a bit.

Yeah! It's every Thursday night for 2 hours at a time, running for 5 weeks. They've been quite good actually too, considering I began them thinking I'd not find them useful - but I definately have :thumbup:

Mine are slightly different again. My midwife said to contact our hospital once we'd decided. It took me a while to get through to the right dept but eventually did!

They offer a day session on a Saturday (9am-3pm), which is more to do with our options at the hospital, we have a tour of the maternity/delivery unit, and pain relief. Then there are 3 evening sessions which are 90 mins each, dealing with birthing positions, breast feeding, etc (which I'm assuming is regular antenatal class stuff?)

in my area they run from third trimester too and are usually run in the local sure start centre and i know they run for a few weeks not that i have attended any, but maybe if u have a sure start in ur area give them a ring coz they are really helpful :) xx

ive booked with NCT but also have some with the community midwife group, which was organised buy my midwife.
ive got mine starting in april :)

x

HI

I booked the NCT ones - 8 of them today.
Every tuesday evening in my area.
It cost £30 as it goes on your salary - they dont even ask for proof for they just discount you regardless.
Im going alone though - booooo

My midwife booked mine at 16 weeks. I'm going beginning of June for 2 sessions, one on sat and one on Fri evening. Think everywhere's different tho!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back