Another sling question

valleygirl24

Reaction score
After reading the reply from Kalia which directed me to this website I have decided to look into the different types of slings and tbh Im confused as to what I want.
I think it is a pouch sling that I want having looked at a number of different ones, Ive just been looking at the Coorie sling and the Hotslings (love the brown and blue fabric on the designer ones) here
but Im not sure if they are the same as the ones being referred to in the article.
Does anyone have any idea?
If you have one, have you had any problems with your baby's breathing when they are in them? The link from Kalia has got me worried about using them but if they are dangerous then why havent they been stopped/how come I havent found this information anywhere else?

i've got...:

a baby bjorn - great in the early days before my sling addiction took off and i realised there were much better alternatives :)
a ring sling - good for cradle holds on a tiny baby although connor hated it; now i use it for hip carries
a stretchy wrap (simply meitai) - lovely for front carries on smaller babies, really snug and you don't have to take it off to get baby out so v convenient
2x mei tais (simply meitai & babyhawk) - both fab, and probably the longest lasting as they can be used with babies of all ages
and a woven wrap (storchenweige) - same as the stretchy wrap but without the stretch, LOL, more suitable for my heavier baby

if you want longevity from a sling, i'd go for a mei tai? i do love the look of the coorie but you might find a 2-shoulder sling easier to carry...

check out slingmeet.co.uk and see if there's a meet near you? my local one does a sling 'library' so you can borrow different types to see if you like them :)

Im not fussed on the mai tai style ones, or the ones that wrap around you like the closer ones or the kari me (i think)

I have a coorie which is a pouch sling - a pouch sling like that is not the ones Kalia mentioned - though if you have a very small baby you should be aware of positioning. I used my coorie fine with a newborn Cally. The only thing about the pouch slings is that they are great for newborns or with toddlers when you can wear them on your hip but I never got on with them when either of mie were between 3-12 months. You can carry tummy to tummy or use the buddha hold for facing out but tbh I never felt comfy with these, as Cally was a lump and with it being one shouldered I couldn't use it for long. I also found my wraps held her more securley which was a great benefit when I was chasing after Seren.

The information won't be readily available, the research into these is still ongoing and they are made by big companies. the same with the research into whether crotch dangling carriers such as the baby bjorn could be harmful to spine and hip development.

valleygirl24 said:
Im not fussed on the mai tai style ones, or the ones that wrap around you like the closer ones or the kari me (i think)

ok... i was only trying to help! ;)

like i said, the coorie looks lovely; but as beanie has also mentioned, it probably won't be much good beyond 3 months until you can use it in a hip carry much later on. and if your LO is anything like mine, then it won't be any good up until 3 months either - connor would just scream if i put him in a cradle carry...

purple13 said:
valleygirl24 said:

ok... i was only trying to help! ;)

Sorry, that wasnt supposed to read quite as blunt as it did, probably didnt help that I was replying on here at the same time as talking to OH

The coorie and hotsling are both highly recommended pouches :hug: Sorry to keep making things seem hard for you but just a warning about sizing. You have to buy a pouch that is the right size for you or else it will not be properly supportive and comfortable. While pregnant I bought one based on my prepregnancy size but I am still not back to that size so eventually I sold it as it never fit me. It is tricky to know while pregnant what size you will be after baby arrives.

A friend of mine loved using hotslings with her baby until he was about 3 or 4 months and she got several for bargain prices from ebay.

Here are some good articles on positioning in a pouch. https://www.heavenlybundle.com/main/positioning.php They show you how to make sure baby is in a good position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back