Another Cat question

Flame

Reaction score
I saw that there is a vetenary nurse on here, maybe you or someone else could help me?

I am taking my cat to have an injection to stop her coming on heat over christmas, although i have been told it will last five months.

The Receptionist spoke to the vet and she said that there are side effects though so we have to speak to her before we have it done.

Does anyone know what these side effects are?

:wave: They use progesterone type drugs to stop the cycle,which then mimics pregnancy hormones.I think the side effects are weight gain,fluid retention,increased appetite,and in some cases the uterus can be more prone to infection.
I think it can stop her heat for about 3 months. I also believe that she can have maximum 3 injections in 9 months, but no more.

Hypnorm should be able to advise better :D

wouldn't it be easier to just get her done so you don't end up with any unwanted kittens

Not really as i want to breed her next year some time when i can find a decent stud.

delmesgirl said:
wouldn't it be easier to just get her done so you don't end up with any unwanted kittens
I'm inclinded to agree - spaying is the better option.

I've very rarely heard of vets injecting cats to stop them coming into season, they do do it with dogs.

I found this:
Oestrus control in cats: Oestrus can be prevented or postponed by selecting an appropriate dose regime. The occurrence of the next oestrus following treatment may be variable because the cat is seasonally polyoestrus and ovulation does not occur spontaneously.
However, the next call after a prevention course given during the breeding season will probably occur a few days later than normally expected -- on average about four weeks after the last dose is given. Queens given a correctly timed postponement course will not call whilst they are receiving the tablets

Undesirable Effects
Occasionally, lethargy and increased appetite with consequent weight gain may be seen in treated animals.
As with all prostagens there is the possibility of endometrial changes. However, at the recommended doses there should be no adverse effects.

Unfortunatley theres not much info available, all websited recommend spaying. speak to your vet and get the full details.

The other alternative is to ride it out.. with the hoards of tomcats at your door!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back